Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...

Article about: The fittings of the dagger appear to be nickel silver. With exposure to moisture that type of material will corrode as shown in the photos. If it is cleaned off, pitting resulting from the c

Default Re: Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...

The fittings of the dagger appear to be nickel silver. With exposure to moisture that type of material will corrode as shown in the photos. If it is cleaned off, pitting resulting from the corrosion will remain.
    I think the dagger would be best served by only removing the dirt, and any loose rust. An untouched dagger is much harder to find than the many cleaned examples.

Wolfgang

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...
    P
    Many

Quote by gerrit View Post
    With the proper care this beast can be turned into a beauty.

Larry im not so sure its ebony, it has colour loss on a few places, ebony is black all through, if its properly dried it will hardly schrink because its high density.

Cheers Ger
    Hi Gerrit great observation! There are various types of ebony ranging from African,, Makassar Indonesia,,India and Sri Lanka. Some of these grips had stripped ebony,, which it is possible for most early SS daggers. Not a fact but my opinion. Below is a couple of photos I liberated from Google showing the differences. I feel also that the Germans used every part of the wood and not to waste any of it as this type of wood were imported. Below are a couple of pics of ebony wood. Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...  
    Attached Images Attached Images Would like opinions on salty SS dagger... 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thx Larry, i know there are degrees in quality of ebony, but the center is always black.
    I didnt know the German also used the outher parts....

Wolfgang i agree with you completely that too many knives are being cleaned, and most of them not properly.
    When i suggest cleaning them properly i dont mean with sandpaper....or brasso, or any abrasive.
    The scabbard will surely look much better when its sprayed wit WD40 for 4 days in a row, WD40 will not do any harm, only bring back some natural colour and remove the black film it has.
    I use it on binoculars with some littel rust ( flugrost seen on helmets) sometimes even the original black paint come bck from underneath the rust.

Cheers Ger

Wow it is salty.

nice,think my cash would be on table immediately ;-)
    Steve

?

Great Uncleaned SS Dagger, i would buy this in an instant!!

Regards Mac 66.

Like it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Guy's , would this dagger be considered as a "transitional" piece in that it has earlier nickel cross guards ? I really like these untouched examples
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I love it!..

?

Hi Alan,

normally we talk about transitionals when in 1936 RZM rules got effectieves and makers had to mark their daggers with a RZM makers code instead of the full logo what they used to have.
    In these days 1936/37/38 you can see the full maker logo's with a RZM logo besides eachother.
    In this case there is something extraordinary happening, its an 1934 code, 2 years before RZM got effective.
    These daggers are made of materials used in 1934 so we would say Early dagger parts ( nickel/silver/ebony/anodized)
    Only difference is that there is a RZM logo instead of the Full makers logo.

I would call it an early dagger by its parts.

Cheers,
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 12-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast