Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...

Article about: The fittings of the dagger appear to be nickel silver. With exposure to moisture that type of material will corrode as shown in the photos. If it is cleaned off, pitting resulting from the c

?

Default Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...

Hi all,

Someone approached me with this SS dagger that has had a very rough life. I'm curious first whether or not you all think this is a good one, and second whether or not any of you have an opinion as to why the metal has discolored so much. My theory is that someone attempted to stain everything, including the metal fittings. If you look at the eagle, it too has signs of discoloration throughout.

Thoughts??

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect WW2 German SA Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Would like opinions on salty SS dagger...

Am I seeing Plating chips on the blade between the guard and the makers mark?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I think that is just dirt/corrosion spots. I don't think those are chips. You can see someone tried to sharpen the edge of the blade so if it was plated I would think you'd be able to tell where the sharpening occurred. Then again, I'm no expert on plated blades.

Looks a good dagger to me also if you look at the top picture look at the scabbard you can see where the vertical hanger used to be,
    hope this helps
    cheers Ronnie

?

Great observation regarding the hanger Ronnie! Any idea what the discoloration might be on the metal fittings? I'm guessing wood stain or paint? I guess its anyone's guess. If it's paint at least it can be removed.

I don't know much about these daggers, but I'd like to point out that there is a small space between one side of the cross guard and the handle. I have always heard that this could be a sign of a "parts dagger". But, the condition throughout this whole dagger appears consistent, leading me to believe the dagger's pieces have been together for a long time.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it is just the angle of the camera that makes it look separated.

Corey

The grip runes button and grip eagle are correct for this maker,, the shrinkage you see is common as these RZM120/34s had the ebony type of wood. These grips are stained from this maker. Once on great occasion you will see a period painted one. I see no issues or problems or authenticity on this one except that has been through the ringer in condition...or not cared for. Great find on an Early maker. Up to the next owner to leave it as is or return it to is honorable luster. This will Clean up with alot of TLC. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Definitely won't hurt to clean up This beast abit, hey!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I like it, How much is he asking.

?

With the proper care this beast can be turned into a beauty.

Larry im not so sure its ebony, it has colour loss on a few places, ebony is black all through, if its properly dried it will hardly schrink because its high density.

Cheers Ger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast