Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Camo M42 for Opinions if you would please

Article about: Hello If I could have some opinions on this 'splinter' camo it would be much appreciated. I've only seen splinted camouflage pattern on removable helmet covers. It's online sale so the image

?

Default Another Camo M42 for Opinions if you would please

Hello

If I could have some opinions on this 'splinter' camo it would be much appreciated.
    I've only seen splinted camouflage pattern on removable helmet covers.
    It's online sale so the images aren't mine but I've tidied them up a little.
    Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Camo M42 for Opinions if you would please
    P
    Many

My opinion....a complete post war fabrication. Someone worked very hard to age this helmet inside & out. Liner is dirty & aged, but shows no sign of wear. Rusty liner band is always an issue. Chinstrap logo for "Josto 1942", the fonts are different from known originals by that maker.
    I would pass. Again...just my opinion. Others may like it
    D.

I agree with David, the maker sure put a lot of effort into the helmet but apparently forgot to make the leather look actually used instead of only old and dirty.
    To me that's a dead giveaway that something isn't the way it should be, especially with a helmet that looks as well used as this one.
    Luis

MAP
    ?

Nothing to add. I will just agree with everything said above

I always say, judge the helmet not the pattern but this is not a pattern I've seen before. Quite an interesting take, mimicking the cloth splinter camo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A no from me as well.

This one has Latvia printed all over it!

?

It's in the wrong section too.....oops I don't know how I did that.

I do appreciate all the opinions.

The last image is a shocker but I can see glimpses of the real liner in the 'sun' images 3 up and some minor wear.
    If it hovers around it's current online auction price and sells for that I'd have a go at it, only to learn from it. It's around $160 US with 22 bids. And yes I've asked for better images, particularly of that liner.

Thank you again all

Check sellers other helmets and recent sales. That should tell you - there's some real shockers!!!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Quote by olboy View Post

I do appreciate all the opinions.

I'd have a go at it, only to learn from it. It's around $160 US with 22 bids.
    Here's another opinion.

Save the $160+. There really is nothing to learn here. No use studying fakes IMHO. Instead, study originals
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I am reading opinions against this helmet that have been given but I honestly think there's room for doubt and some room for optimism.
    True the liner is badly photographed but if you look beyond that and see the images where the sun light does show it shows a completely different colour and some wear, minimal yes but remembering it's only a small section of the liner we're seeing.
    The chinstrap font is basically the same to as what I've found elsewhere, even down to what looks like inverted commas both before and after ,,JOSTO" which I assume is tooling marks. And saying that the chinstrap has wear that I would expect to see on a helmet of this age.
    The wear of the outside of the helmet is also what I would expect from a painted helmet of that age as it's consistent right through to the liner.
    The sellers other helmets aren't ones that interest me but one in particular shows it's possible to be authenticate, the others I'm not so sure about.
    If it goes for what I think would be reasonable and with some trepidation I'd be prepared to do that as I'm not entirely convinced it's a fake nor am I entirely convinced it's real until I have it in my hand.
    But I'm entirely prepared that I am wrong.
    I have similar unseen WW2 German helmets camouflaged that others would dismiss outright if it didn't come from a reliable source.

Last edited by olboy; 07-23-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast