Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

another SS decal question

Article about: Hi guys, As part of my learning experience I have found another helmet for sale. This one ( I'm told ) was a resistance member's wartime repaint and the decal has been liberated post war. My

Default another SS decal question

Hi guys,

As part of my learning experience I have found another helmet for sale.
    This one ( I'm told ) was a resistance member's wartime repaint and the decal has been liberated post war. My question is, does this ET shield look OK as to my eyes it still looks rounded with uneven breaks.

I trust this seller ( a well regarded German dealer ) but as I say I am trying ( as advised to by several members ) to soak up as much information as I can.

Yes, I know the pix are small but at this stage, that's all the detail I can get.

Regards, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture another SS decal question   another SS decal question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement another SS decal question
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: another SS decal question

It would be nice to see the entire helmet. Is this an ET helmet? When the decal is heavily scrubbed like this it makes positive identification very difficult as the breaks and other visual references are masked by the scrubbing damage. Of note the bottom to me does not look rounded despite its appearance and there is so much border scrubbed off that it makes the runes position difficult to determine.
    Anytime these are in this condition an in hand is a must.

PS this is not the round bottom fake.

?

Agreed, about it not being a 'round bottom' but the break looks wrong to me.IMHO

?

Ate the decals rising too high in the sheild??

Could the fact that the bottom has been damaged be a attempt to hide a round bottom. I agree it looks as if it is going to a more pointed bottom...

Or am I way off?? And just chasing red flags??

Doug, Yes it is an ET66, with a lot number of 346. The seller stands by his helmets with a full guarantee.

This is a US$4000 lid and way, way out of my price range but the reason for the post was ( and is ) to expand my knowledge of what is right and wrong and ( based on my last thread ) what to look out for. If this of help to others then that's an added bonus.

As you all have said, knowledge is power!
    Thanks, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images another SS decal question  another SS decal question 

?

I give this a chance pending an in hand magnification. The helmet is correct for the decal and correct lot number range for an ET SS, and I see no evidence of a decal ever applied to the left side. The runes position as I said is difficult to reference simply because of the heavy scrubbing and there looks to be remnants of a real patina to the pulver of the decal and the construction of the decal looks correct. get it under a good loupe or ADM and that will answer the question if you know what to look for. However not an SS helmet to buy on simple faith alone.