Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone seen this decal????

Article about: Screw the picture now... Anyone ever seen this decal before? I had to completely expose it from underneath the paint.

themm777777
    ?

Default Anyone seen this decal????

Screw the picture now...

Anyone ever seen this decal before?
    I had to completely expose it from underneath the paint.
    Last edited by themm777777; 08-26-2012 at 11:09 PM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Anyone seen this decal????

Hi and welcome to the forum.

No comment on the decal, but these days most people think it is not appropriate to uncover decals from under any over paint unless you are certain it has been applied post war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Welcome to the forum,

I'm not sure what you want to know with your question , do you want to know if this is a correct decal ? By what means did you expose it ?

I would like to see more photos of both the inside and outside of the helmet as the wear that is visible appears contrived !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

themm777777
    ?

I exposed it because it was covered with paint not all the way, but most. I didn't want an SS helmet where you could see only a small part of the decal. I didn't do any damage to it at all, so there was no harm done. I'll try to get a couple more pictures for you guys.

I also just wanted to know what people thought of it in the sense of if it was real or what manufacturer produced it. It has aluminum under it which I have never seen on a fake decal, but then again I am having trouble matching it to ones in the books.

- - Updated - -

lol cat

Quote by themm777777 View Post
    I didn't do any damage to it at all, so there was no harm done.

- - Updated - -

lol cat
    If it was original paint, then that was part of the helmets history, which you have now destroyed IMHO, though thankfully I think the paint is not real and the same probably applies to the decal. It is your helmet and you are free to do with it as you see fit.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Welcome to the forum 777777777. It's a fake SS decal and any of the fakes that are half arse good have some form of aluminum pulver in them which is really nothing anyway. You need correct shape, size, graphics, construction, depth, print charachteristics, decal to shell application, etc etc etc. Sadly this has none of the above.

Actually its not sad, its a good thing because liberating a decal is tantamount to destroying much of the desirability of the helmet for other collectors down the road. It's a no-no, a taboo, and a frowned upon activity in the world of helmet collecting. Then there is value. Let's assume your fake helmet is real, it might carry a $25,000 price tag given SS winter camos are rarer than Unicorn poop. Liberating the decal will reduce the value by half at least, if done crudely like as posted, the value would be 70-80% reduced.

So like they say in Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there!"

themm777777
    ?

The color might be a little bit off due to the lighting...but not that much

?

The decal and a camo looks fake to me
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Hi 77777777 it's still a fake winter camo applied overtop of a fake SS decal and probably replaced liner. If you've paid for it I'd return it....well that might be tough as you've liberated the decal now. So I think you've got a helmet you might want to try stripping the hideous white paint and ugly decal off to see what it really was!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast