Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Confirmation of a fake SS M42 needed

Article about: Good Evening All, As I have little knowledge on German helmets (or any others to be honest) I'd like your opinions on this helmet. I'm sure it's a fake SS and I bought it on that basis but w

Default Confirmation of a fake SS M42 needed

Good Evening All,

As I have little knowledge on German helmets (or any others to be honest) I'd like your opinions on this helmet. I'm sure it's a fake SS and I bought it on that basis but what I can't satisfy myself on is if it it's a genuine German shell and liner or a complete fake, or maybe a Norwegian? Apologies about the poor photos, I will try and get some in the day light tomorrow. It does appear to have some age to it but with the brass split pins and 'v.TREUENFELD' painted on the inside I find it unconvincing. All I can smell on it is beeswax which it seems to have had a layer applied, the white stuff you can see in the pics is wax. I can make out ET64 on the inside left of the rim (the 4 is a weak stamp) and what I think is 26?3 stamped on the inside rear of the rim. The only marking I can find on the liner is a small 38 on the inside.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.

Tom.Confirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 neededConfirmation of a fake SS M42 needed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Confirmation of a fake SS M42 needed
    P
    Many

Fake paint, wire, decal, chinstrap...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

+ brass split rivets were used on M35 helmets and not the later ones ...yours is an M42 so should be steel.
    Seam stitching is to the front, not the rear as it normally is ..... this could be OK or it could be another indication of tampering.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you identified the chinstrap and decal as being fake? Any thoughts on the shell? I'm a bit concerned as it has some rippling to the rim and feels a bit thin compared to an M40 I have.

Thanks.

Decal is wrong type for a ET helmet ... read the sticky SS Runic Decal Reference Section
    There are other issues as well ( patina, deliberate scratching etc.... ) rippling is OK for a M42 ..... lower production standards in the forming process.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

That wire is actually a coat hanger..... lol

what an ugly bucket. Don't understand why you would spend even a dime on that...