Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

DD SS Ground Dug

Article about: by Kiwipete I would be guessing that if they went throught the process of putting fake decals on it they would have done to the local barber for sum hair and then sum blood from a farm mix i

?

Default Re: DD SS Ground Dug

I considered that as well Ned, but Ive seen quite a few dead bodies all in various stages of decomposition,Hair can become"swollen" either by immersion in water or through internment, it can also become coarse. Combine that with skin, blood, dirt, dust, even brain matter and hair can change appearance and colour over a period of time, but of course you cannot rule that possibility out completely

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DD SS Ground Dug
    P
    Many

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    At the risk of taking some serious flak here, I would like to ask if Horsehair was ever used in WW2 German combat helmets for padding, similar to the 'pillows' found in WW1 M16 and M17 helmets or some of the Luftschutz/Flak hilferin types of WW2.

I ask because the hair in question appears more like cut horsehair to me than it being of human origin. Just thinking aloud....
    Ned you make a valid point as during certainly the first winter in Russia the Soldaten would use newspapers , cloths etc etc in their helmets to prevent the penetration of the cold and frost via the steel onto their bonces so stuffing horse hair in could be a possibility !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    This is making me feel a bit uneasy now, how the hell do we know how many relic helmets that we now own originally had human remains in them, my M40 and M42 might have had blood and brain matter in them but were given a good scrub out.
    I suppose all we can do is hope the helmet was just lost or thrown away, unless we see the helmet being actually dug up we will never know for sure.
    Well said Gunny, I think all of us who like relics, and especially relic helmets, need to take a reality check. By definition, battlefield relics come from battlefields and a battle damaged helm is more than likely to caused a head trauma to the owner of the helmet. Most relic helms are shells only and I feel for an obvious reason, I have heard tales of helmets being found with remains and the diggers have thrown the liners away for obvious reasons.
    I really don’t know whether the remains inside the shell are real or not, but I can say 100%, that whoever this would appeal to is a sick individual, and also if it has been created to appeal to some sort of macabre collector, then it’s disgusting

my m1916 stahlhelm had remenants of a french newspaper stuffed into the shell so it could be extra lining ,i certainly hope so

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Well said Gunny, I think all of us who like relics, and especially relic helmets, need to take a reality check. By definition, battlefield relics come from battlefields and a battle damaged helm is more than likely to caused a head trauma to the owner of the helmet. Most relic helms are shells only and I feel for an obvious reason, I have heard tales of helmets being found with remains and the diggers have thrown the liners away for obvious reasons.
    I really don’t know whether the remains inside the shell are real or not, but I can say 100%, that whoever this would appeal to is a sick individual, and also if it has been created to appeal to some sort of macabre collector, then it’s disgusting
    Guys let's not start getting carried away that all Relics are Battlefield found and that if the Helmet shows signs of damage , whether via shot or shell then someone must have been wearing it , that just isn't correct at all . Many relics bought by people have never seen much action if at all but were thrown in dumps after surrender or lost on the field of Battle , those that are genuine Battlefield finds which have apparent combat damage were not necessarily being worn when that damage was caused , many helmets were lost on the battlefield which suffered damage for many reasons both during and after the war.

The real issue here is Helmets that have evidence that they have been found with remains and have then been sold and bought . The ethics of Black diggers have been well discussed previously on here on many occasions and it is a completely reprehensible and foul activity but like many things it is fueled by the market and the worst excesses of it such as a Helmet with actual human remains within are unfortunately part of that as there are clearly collectors who will buy that sort of thing without shame or scruple.

It is for them to look at themselves and examine their actions in the light of accepted behaviour and for the rest of us to abhor their behaviour and condemn them on every occasion.

Would most collectors knowingly buy a helmet such as this one with the potential history it has , for 99.99% the answer would be no but for some out there the answer is clearly yes and many just don't want to ask too many questions !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Paul,

Obviously you have more experience in this field than most members. I have never taken part in a dig. What normally happens to items if and when they are found with remains, say a helmet for instance? I am referring to non-black digging

Cheers

?

Lets also steer the commentary back to the helmet itself which once again I do not believe is a period SS based on these pictures.

Quote by Kiwipete View Post
    Hi Doug thanks for your reply.
    I joined this forum just after I purchased the helmet.
    Murphys law etc.
    I purchased it off a digger on the WAF forum.
    He had a good reputation on their for ground dug items.
    I,m Just trying to track down his email for a angrey email!
    Rgds Peter
    Returning back to the subject of this helm, Peter, did you get a response from the seller ??

?

I would just keep it moving. The gents here know some good sources. I'm sure they can get you a nice original example. Good luck with your search and remember! POST HERE BEFORE U BUY!

Regards
    Samir

SSamir

I was surprised to learn you are 87 ! I had some idea you were some young lad !!! All the best !

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast