Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Decal on the wrong side?

Article about: First, let me say I have no knowledge at all about German helmets or their decals. I came across this photo and first assumed it was simply mirrored, till I noticed that the sleeve eagle act

Looks to be a correct Pocher decal from what I can see....so probably a double rune

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Decal on the wrong side?
    P
    Many

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    My thoughts exactly Steve, there are many known examples of reverse HEER decals used for film and photographs by the Reich's propaganda unit so why not an SS helmet as this is clearly a staged/posed image. Leon.
    I think this is a very plausible explanation too. Thanks all for your input!

From a photographic point of view it would make sense to take the picture from the left side of the soldier - although the SS runes would obviously need to be added to that side of the helmet. In that one shot the photographer has captured the very recognisable emblems of an elite fighting force - don't forget that the arm eagle is also visible by taking the picture from the left side!

Decal on the wrong side?

Not a decal I think, but still painted on the 'wrong' side on this M16 helmet.

These are sometimes seen this way in period film footage & photos. Nothing out of the ordinary here

Quote by real steel View Post
    These are sometimes seen this way in period film footage & photos. Nothing out of the ordinary here
    Still interesting though. I doubt there are many surviving examples with runes like these.

Default painted runes

Here is one on Kelly's site. Original ??...why not ?

Though it is not backwards....still it is painted on
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Decal on the wrong side?   Decal on the wrong side?  

Decal on the wrong side?  

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Still interesting though. I doubt there are many surviving examples with runes like these.
    Helmets of this caliber are in private collections whose owners do not frequent forums. I know a few high end, advanced collectors who do not partake in forums or show their collections except for a rare few in the intimacy of their home to trusted friends. I have a very good friend who collects helmets of this nature & keeps them in a walkin room in a bank vault. But yes...not many surviving examples I would venture to say

?

Also not mirrored
    Decal on the wrong side?

?

Things were definitely added or removed from those propaganda photos. You often see that a knight's cross, for example, has been tampered with.(also posthumously) I own this photo of hauptmann bunge. A text has been added on the back: Orden am hals hell machen. weg machen.(order RK am neck make bright) ?I don't know exactly what it says.? . But there is an order for something I think .Decal on the wrong side?Decal on the wrong side?
    Last edited by Daarom; 11-29-2023 at 08:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast