Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!

Article about: I first learned of this one when it surfaced in North Carolina about 5 or 6 years ago, found in a junk shop. *I was trying to get it for years, and lo and behold.... Anyway, here it is, a do

Default Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!

I first learned of this one when it surfaced in North Carolina about 5 or 6 years ago, found in a junk shop. *I was trying to get it for years, and lo and behold.... Anyway, here it is, a double decal SS transitional with an Austrian Party shield and a MIRROR RUNIC SHIELD! *There is one other known to exist, the one on Billy's site. *I have been told there is another in a private collection in Oregon, but no one I know knows for sure if it is true. *And this one. *Someone defaced the decals, but fortunately, tired of the exercise while they were still in decent shape. *This one is put together exactly like the one on Billy's site, an Austrian shell, an Austrian civic style liner with a dome pad, the same color, the same decals, and, like Billy's example, it has a neck stamped size ink stamp, and what I believe to be a unit designation. *On this one the unit mark is "I 1 W". *I believe the Roman numeral "I" to be*a Unit/district designation, the arabic number "1" to be a company designation, and I believe*the "W" is for Wien - Vienna. *There are only theories as to why the runes are reversed. *Some think it is a misprint. *Others think mirror runes were printed to be used on double runic SS helmets with the "mirror" runes to be placed on the left of the helmet*so that both sets of runes point forward. *Still others think these were of Austrian manufacture, and printed at some point between 1936 and 1938, after the Schutzstaffel was outlawed in Austria in 1936 and before the Anschluss.* I lean towards the third theory. *Anyway, here it is. *I can't believe I was able to land this one! *Hope you like it. *Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!   Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!  

Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!   Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!  

Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!   Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double Decal SS Transitional - A Real Unicorn!
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Spectacular Jim! I don't think anyone here will ever see another like it.

Congratulations on acquiring it. Take good care of it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Spectacular Jim! I don't think anyone here will ever see another like it.

Congratulations on acquiring it. Take good care of it.
    obviously he hasn't... the decals are already scratched up....
    Ok I didn't read the text in full, Sorry.
    Stunner of a helmet Jim G, Cheers for showing.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-23-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added text

What a rarity! Thanks for letting us see it.

Fantastic helmet and super rare. I notice Bill Shea has something similar on his site with the mirror runes.
    Nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Fantastic helmet and super rare. I notice Bill Shea has something similar on his site with the mirror runes.
    Nick
    Yes, that is the one I mentioned in the first post. It is made exactly the same way, which suggests that these was part of a small contract. Al B. owned the one on Billy's site for many years, and over time it has made the rounds, most recently before Billy Doug B. had it in his collection. The one on Billy's site is in the Beaver/Hicks book. Anyway, glad you like it, thanks. Jim G.

No explanation !! Another unanswered anomaly. I am sure you are very happy with it !!
    D.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Yes, that is the one I mentioned in the first post. It is made exactly the same way, which suggests that these was part of a small contract. Al B. owned the one on Billy's site for many years, and over time it has made the rounds, most recently before Billy Doug B. had it in his collection. The one on Billy's site is in the Beaver/Hicks book. Anyway, glad you like it, thanks. Jim G.
    Yes, sorry I got a bit confused! You did indeed mention the one on Bill's site.
    And I also realised this is the same one as the sticky in the SS Helmet forum.
    Something very special for sure.
    Nick

Beautiful Jim, scarce as hell, I remember the junk shop find helmet, what a trip that one was! I will not ask how many holidays have been sacrificed to pay for this superb helmet. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Beautiful Jim, scarce as hell, I remember the junk shop find helmet, what a trip that one was! I will not ask how many holidays have been sacrificed to pay for this superb helmet. Leon.
    One right arm, one right leg, and a kidney - but worth every organ! All kidding aside, it was fairly priced, and I had been lusting for it since it first emerged. Glad you like it. Jim G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast