Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?

Article about: From my modeling interests, Ive always been aware of the deaths head Lef Side helmet decal for Totenkopfverbande. I have never seen a photo showing this decal nor any discussion of it. Dr Ch

Default The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?

From my modeling interests, Ive always been aware of the deaths head Lef Side helmet decal for Totenkopfverbande. I have never seen a photo showing this decal nor any discussion of it. Dr Chris Mann mentions (on p 56 of his book "SS Totenkopf") "In March 1935 the concentration camp guard were authorised to display a silver deaths head emblem on teh left side of their helmet. This distinguished them from the Liebstandarte and the SS-VT. All units had the SS runes on the right. This insignia was worn only briefly as SS helmet insignia was standardised in August 1935"
    Its curious that this option was offered in model kits for waffen SS figures (eg Tamiya). However any photographic documentation of it seems very hard to find. Recently I saw a reproduction on an auction site
    I would appreciate any assistance that you may have to offer or photos and sources to share.
    Thanks in advance. Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?

I've never ever seen one I thought was legit. I'd love to see a period photo if there are any. I would doubt any survived in that configuration as in that period the SS were very short of kit, so they would have been repainted and have new decals put on I'm sure. Maybe if Doug would be so kind as to strip the Pochers off a few of his early lids to check for us

?

This is from Danzig, and there are period pics of this exact decaled style of M35 helmet in use but I don't have them on my iPad.

Default Re: The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?

I found some with a little help from Doug and Google.

The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?

I was thinking more along the lines of this, I've always thought these were fantasy.

The elusive totenkopf helmet decal...any photos or surviving helmet?

?

Doug, who owns this particular example, and how many are you aware of?

Samir

?

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Doug, who owns this particular example, and how many are you aware of?

Samir
    That M35 Danzig helmet is owned by Wilson History & Research Center.
    A very cool helmet, and the only known what I'm aware of.
    I had it in my hands for a look last year

?

Anders, thanks!

Is it a ground dug helmet?

regards
    Samir

?

Yes it was a ground dug helmet, the helmet was sent to me for assisting in authenticating as period and I have ADM pics of the TK decal. It is a phenomenal piece.

Excellent never knew that the Totenkopf were given their own decal.
    Morris

The second patern skull decal is a fantasy design from he early 1970's. I have never seen a period picure of any Totenkopfverbande personel wearing a helmet wih a totenkopf decal. The Danzig pattern skull is definitely a very rare piece
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast