Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake SS Helmet

Article about: That's the best way, make sure you order his V2 of SS Steel. Handling real ones is also very important. A real SS decal to the trained eye screams real. The 5 second look. Samir thank you fo

?

Default Fake SS Helmet

Hi,

I bought the shown helmet many years ago (~20) in Prague, CZ. I am pretty sure that it (i.e. the decals) is a fake - I paid around $ 25 for it. Still, I would like to learn a bit about it.

The helmet itself seems to be an original M40 - is that correct so far?

The swastika decal seems to be on top of another older one. Some remains of white color can be seen on the top right and a tiny bit further down. Plus there is some white color in the background of the red color as well. The whole area where the decal is seems to have been sanded or something - i.e. it is a bit different (shinier) than the rest of the helmet. I suppose that some larger original white decal was below the party decal which seems to have been slightly larger. Any guesses what that could have been?

The SS decal has a silvery sheen. I am pretty sure that that one is a fake, too. Does anyone have an idea which one? And how can you tell for sure that it is a fake - clues? It would be interesting to know how to tell such fakes in the future for me. I read some of the fake threads here but I am still a bit overwhelmed by all the info about ET, EF helmets and all the intricacies of the decals - I am still a bloody beginner in all that. If you have a link to a site showing fakes and real decals side by side and/or with in-depth explanations, please help.

The helmet was crudely painted with SS on top of it as can be seen on one pic.

The liner and the leather is rusty and pretty worn.

Thanks for any clues.

Regards,

JerryFake SS HelmetFake SS HelmetFake SS HelmetFake SS HelmetFake SS Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake SS Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Fake SS Helmet

Yea, I'm gonna say not a good one. However, for that price it's not a bad looking repro.

?

Hi Jerry and welcome to the forum!

By the photos you have provided it doesn't appear like a genuine SS decal. The party shield appears to be a reproduction as well.

Stick around, you would be amazed the things you can learn about these helmets and thanks for sharing your helmet with us.

Regards
    Samir

Quote by Jerry View Post
    Hi,

It would be interesting to know how to tell such fakes in the future for me. I read some of the fake threads here but I am still a bit overwhelmed by all the info about ET, EF helmets and all the intricacies of the decals - I am still a bloody beginner in all that. If you have a link to a site showing fakes and real decals side by side and/or with in-depth explanations, please help.

Regards,

Jerry
    I have been reading threads like this for a few years, I would still not consider buying one without posting it first for Doug, Samir or one of the other experienced collectors to give it the thumbs up first.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    P.S. Welcome to the forum!
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hi Jerry

I am afraid both decals are reproductions made post war. There is no "easy explanation" for them, they (SS and party decals) are among the most difficult to authenticate and require a study. GHW forum has an excellent fake database but you must become a veteran member to access it. Basically on these, the construction of both decals appears incorrect, the runes, shield and pulver (silvery sheen) are graphically incorrect for a Pocher pattern and decal to shell relationships are also incorrect. The party decal is also graphically incorrect. M40 double decal SS are also extremely rare, about 1 in 15 SS M40s are double decal.

What you have there is a relic M40 and I would remove both decals to preserve its historical integrity.

?

Thanks a lot for your opinions. I was quite sure that the decals are fakes and at the price, nothing else was to be expected. Still, I would like to learn more about what the difference to the "real things" are. I mean, what are the obvious things you could say? Like is the size of the emblems wrong, should the distances, widths etc. of the swastika arms etc. be measured and so on? Nice to hear there is a database on the GHW forum. Will have to look for that - and the amount of postings it takes to access that. I suppose there are no readily accessible databases around?

Again, thx for your answers,

Jerry

?

The book " SS Steel " by Kelly Hicks might give you some insight to the construction of the decals, makers, style etc, its a fascinating read , and one that requires constant reference to its images and narrative, its a bit expensive but well worth the price

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I have been reading threads like this for a few years, I would still not consider buying one without posting it first for Doug, Samir or one of the other experienced collectors to give it the thumbs up first.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    P.S. Welcome to the forum!
    Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the compliment, but i'm actually a student myself. 90% of what I learned, I learned from DougB. I read all of his topics on SS decals including his ADM topics which are extremely important. When I need help with understanding an SS decal, I go to Doug for help. He breaks everything down to me. Studying these decals is not an easy task. It requires searching through threads, discussing them in forums and physically handling them and that takes years. Learning and studying these decals can be frustrating as fakers are getting better, but its fun and rewarding in the end.

Kind regards
    Samir

?

This forum is a gem of info, and the more you read and compare the more you learn.....forearmed is forewarned...

I would never buy an SS lid outside of this forum,I was most fortunate that a respected member of this forum offered me a very nice relic SS and I purchased it with full confidence.....

However I am learning a lot on this forum, there must be hundreds of years of experience to tap into here!!!!

?

I just followed your advice and ordered the book by Kelly Hicks. I suppose that is the smartest way to learn the basics. After that read, I know what I will still need to be looking for here.

Thanks to all,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast