Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Identification

Article about: Hello, Everyone. First post. My aunt gave me a helmet that belonged to my uncle. He was in the 778th tank battalion. She said he brought it back with him from Europe. Attached are some photo

Dupes
    ?

Default Helmet Identification

Hello, Everyone. First post. My aunt gave me a helmet that belonged to my uncle. He was in the 778th tank battalion. She said he brought it back with him from Europe. Attached are some photos. Is this authentic? Thanks for your help. DupesHelmet IdentificationHelmet IdentificationHelmet IdentificationHelmet IdentificationHelmet IdentificationHelmet Identification

2. # ADS

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum.

Your uncle I'm sure may well have been in the 778th but he did not bring this helmet back.

But sorry to say, that the story does not jive with the helmet.

The decals, liner, and chinstrap are fake. The paint is new.

I would also like to hear from others on the helmet shell itself. Picture of the stampings are a bit fuzzy, but a chance that it is bad as well. I will look into it a bit more.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the paint is post War, the decals are reproductions, the liner is not original to the helmet and the inscriptions on the leather are fake. Jim G.

Dupes
    ?

The one stamp is Q62. The other is DN92.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dupes View Post
    The one stamp is Q62. The other is DN92.
    Yes, I just thought that the Q62 stamp was a bit strange. Font types did change so trying to find a good picture of a nice M40 Q62 stamp to show the differences. Give me a bit.....But I'm sure those with much more knowledge than I can answer the question immediately.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Side by side. I think it is just the poor photo quality but the top loop on the 6 and the 2 appear to be different. Maybe just a different font was used.

Again, not my area of expertise. I would suspect the shell is original so just something I posing for others. Either way, the outcome is the same on the helmet in general.

Helmet IdentificationHelmet Identification

Assuming you are a beginner I would recommend you look at this thread and compare your decal. To a novice with even rudimentary knowledge, these decals are one looker fakes

SS Runic Decal Reference Section

Hi, Michael and Jim are spot on I'm afraid. At best this is an original shell that has been re-fitted/re-painted and re-decaled post war. Sorry. Leon.