Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with austrian m17 SS VT helmet

Article about: Hello, this is my first thread here, and wanted to see if someone could help me with an austrian m17 helmet, supposedly used. by the SS. The helmet is a typical austrian M17, probably used o

?

Default Help with austrian m17 SS VT helmet

Hello, this is my first thread here, and wanted to see if someone could help me with an austrian m17 helmet, supposedly used. by the SS.

The helmet is a typical austrian M17, probably used on the interwar period, because it has two holes on the left side, and it has a replacement leather chinstrap. On the inside, it has a name written on the brown part.

According to the story, this helmet was used by east german firemen, and was painted completely white, but when that layer of paint was took out, it revealed the insignia, and black paint. Im dubious of both insignias (mostly of the runic insignia), because unless it's hand rendered, it would have been re-touched.
    I will post the pics I was sent by e-mail, but will take my own pic soon, so you can see the helmet in detail.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with austrian m17 SS VT helmet
    P
    Many

?

Hey there! Identifying decals is not my profession in general, but i'll leave this tidbit: the decals are on the proper sides, to me the decals look a bit sketchy, and I know for a fact that the West Germans never reused war material, but I do not believe that is the same for the East of Germany. The runic seems a bit too high/small as there seems to be a lot of white underneath, the swastika seems too badly damaged for me to identify so I can't help you there. The decals were usually placed 5mm under the vent, as well. So I think this is a fake. Don't take my opinion seriously, because again, I am not good with decals. I hope this helps!

I'd walk away.

The helmet colour generally looks decent (as an Austro-Hungarian lid), the liner looks acceptable too (won't comment on the chinstrap-not my area of expertise). However, it has a dubious "SS" decal (dare I call it one) and a "swastika" decal that has an off-Centre swastika.

CBH
    ?

The SS decal looks to be made by cutting runes into a white sticker, as the paint pattern is the same as the rest of the helmet.

?

Hello, thanks for your replies. I already got the helmet as part of an exchange, the person who gave it to me was dubious of the decals too, I was asking this to leave it like it is now, or to remove the insignia and leave it as austro-hungarian helmet, like it was orignally.
    I thought the same about the SS runic insignia, and about the swastika insignia, I think it's the photo angle, since in person, the swastika on it doesn't seem off-centre to me. I will try to take my own, detailed pics tomorrow.

?

Ok, today I took the detailed pics as I said. I hope they are enough detailed for you. Here you can also see that the shell has some dents on it
    Help with austrian m17 SS VT helmetHelp with austrian m17 SS VT helmet

Those are all the pictures.

According to Bayer ( pg173-185 ) the first SS shield was white runes on a black field and the second was black on silver but NEVER on white painted as these seem to be. AND the size / style was strictly adhered to ( even if painted ) so its a no from me.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I also had a look at 'The Helmet Decals of the Third Reich' by Niewiarowicz / Lehrman . There are quite a few examples of white runes / black background and some other unusual designs, but there are no SS insignia that resemble yours.
    Nick

?

Hello, and thanks for the replies. I just found a helmet which is extremely similar to mine, but that is in perfect condition.
    It's one the page "SS Steel. Inc".
    Here's the link to the part where you can see it, it's listed as "Beautiful Early Allgemeine-SS Transitional Helmet"
    https://www.ss-steel-inc.com/ss_stel...al_helmets.htm

Outside pictures, see both are austrian helmets, but mine has the two holes on the left side:

Compare the decals on both helmets:

Both of them have M28 type liners:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast