Wow - congratulations to you Dan on your find of a lifetime! And thanks to Doug who I’m sure you recognize deserves a heap of credit for generously sharing his depth of knowledge and playing the vital part he did in your acquisition. An incredible find that gives this non-TR collector a chill up the spine. These sorts of discoveries give all of us hope that these treasures are still out there waiting to be found, and to stay the course in our pursuit!
All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.
"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne
12-14-2013 09:03 AM
At the 30K mark, not any where close to paying off mine.
A cracking lid and so good to get such a feel good story this close to Xmas and your birthday Dan, congrats.
its just an opinion.
Hey Dan it's great to meet you!
This story has so many elements of greatness on so many levels.
1. It shows there are diamonds in the rough out there, like I said earlier it's like finding the Hope Diamond in a gravel pit.
2. Dan is one who values historical items and as a collector of "historical things" knew this might have potential. It reminds me of how I got my first Feldernhalle helmet. It was a post exactly like Dan's on GHW2. I reached out to him and we had a connection, he was also a collector but of rare rock and roll memorabilia. He was going to sell the helmet to fund the purchase of a rare rock concert poster. (Grateful Dead Toronto). Well I used to collect rare rock and roll concert posters and knew exactly what he was after, we hit it off and despite receiving (insane) offers from others he sold me the helmet for the cost of the poster! (It is a forking expensive poster!) But still much less than the offers he had been given.
3. We received pretty good photos up front!
4. Dan is appreciative of the forum's assistance unlike so many who ask and bugger off with nary a thank you.
5. It is the elusive exact twin to mine. When dealing in the ultra-rare formative versions of variant SS helmets one of the challenges is proving authenticity. Knowing there may be others were out there and the in depth analysis done on this helmet I did I was absolutely confident it was no mere fantasy piece. This one is identical. Decals, paint, liner, head pad, shell, patina. Check check check check check check. Excellent.
6. What a way to wake up in the morning. I can't think of a better way to wake up than seeing a post like that for an SS helmet aficionado (addict).
7. The helmet appears will be kept by Dan who appreciates and values it's rarity and place in history over turning a fast buck. That to me is sooooooooooooo cool.
8. It's Dan's Birthday.
9. It's almost Christmas.
10. It's a helluva present.....
Dan you should buy the book by Michael Beaver / Kelly Hicks called SS Helmets which has a large color spread on mine, and buy the book SS Helmets by Hicks, it's an old soft cover book with mainly b/w pics but has a 4 page write up on mine as well, something to show others when you show your helmet. Especially the naysayers ;-)
I doubt this is one of the other 2 I have been looking for, but maybe? Like I said one was reportedly sold in the Pacific Northwest a couple decades ago, and one was merely "seen" and not in good shape. Who knows how these things get around.
All I know is the odds of finding one are astronomical, like I said I calculated it to about 0.000000125% chance of finding another one like this.
Good on ya Dan for having the feeling this might be something special and for valuing it and keeping it!!!
May I suggest this thread be pinned?
Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!
Thanks Ade! This thread will serve as an inspiration and education!
A Super Helmet , and it gives us all hope of finding that diamond in the ruff ! I still don't know who is more pleased Dan or Doug , but I'm very happy for the both of you !
how many of these helmets are in existance/circulation?
its just an opinion.