Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

Article about: Whats a good way to spot a fake decal on relic helmets? I'd figured it would'nt be to hard to slap a SS decal on a relic to up the price.

Default How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

Whats a good way to spot a fake decal on relic helmets? I'd figured it would'nt be to hard to slap a SS decal on a relic to up the price.
    How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

A good way is to hear everyone's honest opinion. Best answer IMO.

?

I look at the outer edge,, but who would rust an SS helmet as they were hard to get .. back then

?

Quote by Cody Countryman View Post
    Whats a good way to spot a fake decal on relic helmets?

The fakes are sold at Gunbrokers. :-)

Quote by DougB View Post
    The fakes are sold at Gunbrokers. :-)

Ouch!

?

IMO the decal would not be visible on such a relic helmet. Almost none of the paint has survived, so why should the decal. What i mean is that it is too "clear" in a way. Hard to explain. In general you have to look at a lot of good ones to spot the fakes. It also helps to study fakes a bit of course. I am not a "expert" on decals, but on post war applied decals to relic helmets i am decent. I have seen and dug up a few relic helmets here.

Here is some real relic decals for reference data

How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets? How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets? How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets? How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

Regards,Lars

The particular helmet in question, look at the top edge of the first rune, plus it's size compared to the other. That alone gives you the answer on that helmet. Other than that, as Lars said the overall condition and the amount of decal visible doesn't match. There is also a visible halo around it, which would have come from its application, when the area was cleaned beforehand for the decal.

Alot of it is common sense, if it looks to good to be true it probably is

Cheers
    Jason

?

Good comment Jason. As far as i remember there is one type of decal where one is fatter than the other, but it is the left one that's fatter, not the right one. Correct me if i am wrong.

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    The particular helmet in question, look at the top edge of the first rune, plus it's size compared to the other. That alone gives you the answer on that helmet. Other than that, as Lars said the overall condition and the amount of decal visible doesn't match. There is also a visible halo around it, which would have come from its application, when the area was cleaned beforehand for the decal.

Alot of it is common sense, if it looks to good to be true it probably is

Cheers
    Jason
    Well spotted!!!

If you look carefully there's a halo (or band around the decal) this could indicate they flattened or scrubbed the surface to make the application easier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast