Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I inherited a NS62 German Helmet - Can anyone tell me what I have?

Article about: My dad was in the war and all I remember him telling me is that he took this helmet off a fallen soldier and hand carried it back. On the inside leather liner he inscribed (in pencil) "

Now that I have an idea that this piece is one of value and interest, is there a reputable person that I can take it to in New England for a physical assessment?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I inherited a NS62 German Helmet - Can anyone tell me what I have?
    P
    Many

Quote by Tim4444 View Post
    Now that I have an idea that this piece is one of value and interest, is there a reputable person that I can take it to in New England for a physical assessment?
    Personally, you can trust the assessment that you received here. If you are looking for an appraisal, that is a different story.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph - and everyone else who has taken the time here to help! Does anyone here live in New England that would be willing to take a look in person? Yes, an appraisal is desired...

?

Thanks Ralph - and everyone else who has taken the time here to help! Does anyone here live in New England that would be willing to take a look in person? Yes, an appraisal is desired...
    Why do you need a hands on appraisal?

Your pics are good enough to easily tell the story and the value range I gave you is a valid one. I have bought many similar helmets to yours over the years, and many worth quite a few dollars more than yours and know the values quite well of top end helmets like the one you own, as that is all I collect.

A dealer will offer you $1000-1500 for it. Perhaps $2k on a good day. And it will then be listed for $3500-$4k. Check out the various reputable sites for similar comparisons, WW2germanhelmets.com / Ruptured Duck / SS Steel / WW2 German Helmets.com / German War Helmets / Italianwarfront.com for price comparisons.

A collector will offer you $2-3k for it.

You might have trouble fetching $3500-$4k for it (I assume you are selling it as you are very interested in price and other details that one interested in a mere family heirloom typically asks) as nobody has a clue who you are, and you have no track record selling to the collectors on a website or forum such as this.

It's a HEER, heer, toned heer, ARMY, army helmet, and a piece of your family history that's a real KEEPER. Keep it, KEEP IT , cherish it, LOVE IT. But of course it is yours to do with as you please. Leon.

And that's what you got here; an assessment and an appraisal, and for FREE! Doug is spot on with his appraisal range. Helmet values fluctuate based on collector need, condition, service branch, who the president is and what day of the week it is, but Doug's value range is dead on. I guess I don't understand why you would want to sell it with your family history attached to it, but, if you do decide to sell it in the end I doubt you would sell it on any forum for the simple reason that no one knows you. Think about it, would you send someone $3,000 when you have absolutely no idea who they are or what they are? I doubt you would. If you are serious about selling it, than almost any of the dealers Doug listed will be happy to accept the helmet as a consignment and get you the best price they can for your helmet, or buy the helmet from you outright and sell it on their own. Good luck with the decision. I vote you keep it.

?

Keep It !

it is a original one!!

MAP
    ?

Tim,

There are no finer and more knowledgable people in the collecting community that many that have provided you with information here. Many have some of the best helmet collections there are, have been collecting for decades and have have had some of their helmets published in the top reference books in the industry.

This is the place to go! You need to look no further.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Wow! What an amazing group of people here! There is no doubt that the last few days are another lovely chapter in the helmet's history. The outpouring of expertise and heart is greatly appreciated, as is the solid advise. I grew up with this helmet. Thought it was so cool. Shared it with my Dad. Now that he is gone I know that I do not want to keep it. I have no one to pass the helmet on to. No one to cherish its story and value. It seems to me that sometimes when you love something it is best to let it go for the betterment of it. In this case, it is best that it belong to someone who will cherish it for both its place in the history of the world and its story with my family. I believe that it will have another life of admiration and appreciation, long after my (and my father's) memory of it has passed. It is a gift that I stumbled upon you all... Thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast