Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

just waiting on the mail... SS Relic on the way.

Article about: After looking at this chart I think it's an ET M40.

Default Re: just waiting on the mail... SS Relic on the way.

just waiting on the mail... SS Relic on the way.just waiting on the mail... SS Relic on the way.

thanks Dave, yes I knew it was fragile but it was not an expensive helmet. It had a break in the top as seen in the first set of photos. Here's the other pics, And the inside of the helmet next to the rolled edge it looks like some thick, layered mass. Or possibly just rusting steel? How can I freeze the state of the helmet as it sits? Matte laquer?
    Last edited by FranzJon; 01-21-2011 at 05:02 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement just waiting on the mail... SS Relic on the way.
    P
    Many

?

Ok got it now, its a large layer of rusted steel coming away, as for the pins, theyve rusted through so what your seeing is the internal bit of the pins, where the prongs bend over, all in all a bit of a mess im afraid, there are rust treatments that will harden the metal up again but im not sure if it will change the colour of the metal, you should be able to get these at a car spares outlet but you need to check about the colour changes if any, any type of lacquer wont stop the rust process it will continue under the lacquer, you will definately need to use a rust preventative and cover the whole helmet, you cant even use oxalic acid on this one as the whole thing will be eaten away, i would imagine that the metal is wafer thin in parts

Quote by davejb View Post
    Ok got it now, its a large layer of rusted steel coming away, as for the pins, theyve rusted through so what your seeing is the internal bit of the pins, where the prongs bend over, all in all a bit of a mess im afraid, there are rust treatments that will harden the metal up again but im not sure if it will change the colour of the metal, you should be able to get these at a car spares outlet but you need to check about the colour changes if any, any type of lacquer wont stop the rust process it will continue under the lacquer, you will definately need to use a rust preventative and cover the whole helmet, you cant even use oxalic acid on this one as the whole thing will be eaten away, i would imagine that the metal is wafer thin in parts
    thank you Dave, are there any conclusions you can make about the helmet in it's present condition? What was the paint finish? Was it a repaint? Who's the MFG of the shell, the decal? M40?

?

dont think it was a repaint not if its been in the ground for that long, theres no way to tell whos the maker from what i can see, my guess is that its a m40, the decal probably all ok

thanks Dave... you're only one post away from 1K!!

I'll probably apply a really thick coat of clear anti-rust paint by brush to the inside and spray on the outside. Hopefully it'll stick around for a while.

?

Dont forget to make sure its a clear rust paint Regards Dave

?

Quote by FranzJon View Post
    here's a couple pics. It's doesn't look this good in real life, just looks orange. I need to see it in daylight I guess.
    It actually makes me very sad. This is history that is on the verge of disappearing, literally. This helmet was found on the Tannenberg Line, part of the "Battle of the Blue Hills" in Estonia.
    So logically this lid belonged to either 4th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Nederland or 20th Waffen Grenadier Division (1st Estonian SS) or 11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nordland.
    Attachment 172446
    Attachment 172445
    A shame it's in such a fragile condition !! Do you know which area of the Blauenberg it was found ? If you do i should be able to pin down the unit for you , Nederland was defending North of Sinimaed but the Estonians , Nordland and ther Flemish Langemarke Brigade fought on the Hills themselves !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Paul, I will inquire. The seller of the helmet is also the digger, so he'd know.

just curious...

What do you guys think of a "restoration"?

Meaning from the inside of the helmet use filler or even fiberglass to reinforce the crushed top and right side and then come back around with filler putty on the outside covering the fiberglass for texture and airbrushing earth tones back into the textured putty? And then coat the whole thing in clear paint/epoxy/laquer?

Bottom line, it's with me now. It can never be sold. It would be destroyed in the next move. So for my own pleasure in looking at it, I think it'd look better with no holes in it

?

I will probably know the digger !!!

For me i'd just leave it you have an original piece of history once it is messed with it looses the originality but that is only my opinion , it is of course to do with as you please !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    I will probably know the digger !!!

For me i'd just leave it you have an original piece of history once it is messed with it looses the originality but that is only my opinion , it is of course to do with as you please !!

cheers

Paul
    true, but I'd only like to restore it back to how it looked in the first pictures, the way it looked when it came from the ground.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast