Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

latvian SS stahhelm?

Article about: Supposed to be original german m40 relic helmet , this was found in latvia and has been told to be from the latvian legion ss volunteers , its a m40 gelmet with the rear helmet band stud sti

Default Re: latvian SS stahhelm?

I have to admit it does look better than the first helmet you posted here, if the paint over the decal is original and period done I'd leave it as is. If its not there wouldnt be any harm in carefully removing it to see what you can find underneath. But you'll just have to hope that the decal is genuine and this hasnt been a creation of a faker if the price is right go for it

Thanks

Danny

EDIT: one of the masters of militaria and history beat me to it, with what is more than likely the correct answer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

wasnt there a thread on here a long time back about latvians painting the decals on? still not one that i want to touch with a tickling stick anyway hahaha

Hi Danny, it is bad, you posted just after me. Please read my last post.

A lot of bad items have come from Latvia over the years. I don't mean this as any offence to my Latvian friends. A lot of good stuff comes from there too.

Cheers, Ade.

hi Danny the dealer sells some cracking stuff out of Germany and the price is 60 euros sold as maybe one to restore.

cheers

Jon

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Danny, it is bad, you posted just after me. Please read my last post.

Cheers, Ade.
    Just read it after I posted, I see where your coming from when compared to other helmets that have been re-painted over the decals. I was just thinking alone the lines of a thin layer of paint, but as you said the decal is far to thick.

Thanks Ade

Danny

hahaha i was talking about the lufty helm with painted over decal now am confused about Ade's post i know the latvian helm is bad and as Ade said i've seen some good stuff come from there and the Ukraine so Ade whats your opinion on the lufty helm with painted over decal?

cheers Jon

i saw your post Ade cheers about the painted over decal

?

Both helmets are bad. The SS helmet is laughable. Real ones are rare but they are out there you just have to know what to look for and what to avoid like anything else. Sort of like looking for the perfect woman...

Doug there is no such thing as a perfect woman and yes i agree after looking am gonna pass on both as theyre not really anything to drool over i spent other money on other better stuff anyway worth restoring

cheers

Jon

Quote by DerFlieger View Post
    hi Danny the dealer sells some cracking stuff out of Germany and the price is 60 euros sold as maybe one to restore.

cheers

Jon
    Jon ask yourself the question if you want an untouched period helmet or if you want to play with it and make it into a creation of Frankenstein.
    My suggestion is save up for a nice helmet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast