Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

Article about: Congratulations Jim. A VERY desirable authentic helmet. And worth a few \\$ too. It's a beauty. I would say Doug likes it too

Default Re: M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

Congratulations Jim. A VERY desirable authentic helmet. And worth a few $ too. It's a beauty. I would say Doug likes it too

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I suspected it was a good one as well and with all requested evidence provided there's no doubt anymore. Be careful when shooting from the hip guys ;-)

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I suspected it was a good one as well and with all requested evidence provided there's no doubt anymore. Be careful when shooting from the hip guys ;-)
    True Frank, true. I doubt an SS lid is ever likely to fall into my affordable range. But if it did, I would want the thumbs up from you or Doug before celebrating. It's good to know there are really dedicated experts out there to ask advice from.

?

Jim, I apologise if I caused doubt on your lid here, i tend to err on the side of caution with SS equipment, I would always bow to the advice from Frank and Doug as they have fantastic collections, i daresay to see this in hand would be another matter, however i dont think that i said the helmet , liner or decal were fake, i had my doubts about the wire, and i was suspicious as to how the wire had been installed, ie liner removed etc, but if the guys are ok that it was period done then great im pleased that you have a very desirable and valuable helmet, regards Dave

?

I think it is good to err on the side of caution, goodness knows there are enough fakes out there with bs stories to fill several Mack truck containers. This shows why good photos are always needed as well as as much information as possible from whomever is posting it.

As well, there are enough good fakes out there to make one almost paranoid and it is good to have a healthy skepticism. And in the end we can only offer opinions, and each helmet is a learning experience.

Nice to see a nice unknown real one surface amid the helmet pollution that is out there.

It appears that I was wrong too, gentlemen. My apologies. The pitting on the shell and the angle of the first decal shots must have been what got me. I tend to do what Dave does, I've seen so many fake SS helmets on here that if one looks remotely fake at first glance I will probably "fire from the hip".

Very nice helmet though. I wonder what stories it has to tell.

Jim-
    This thread has brought out some of the same opinions I have received on a camoflaged M-40 helmet I own that has a field made wire cover. An old collector friend of mine got it directly from a veteran back in the 1960's. The helmet is painted in SS pea pattern camoflage. The raw edges of the wire inside the helmet have had a heavy piece of canvas sewn over the raw wire edges. The wire is fit on the helmet by being bent over the helmet rim. On the left side there is a scratch in the paint revealing the red field of the SS national decal underneath. This helmet has been criticized on another forum for having non German wire. However, any knowledgable helmet collector who has handled this piece has never had a doubt about it. One of the facts that many collectors ignore is the fact that a soldier will field modify his equipment at times with whatever material is available. We both know the pedegree of our helmets and have no doubts as to what we own. Congratulations on a very nice piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN FOR YOUR KIND WORDS ...this helmet has been in my family for a very long time and it just ercked me to think that it was being judged unfairly by people that didnt know the helmet as well as I did .......but it was my fault for not posting better photos of it... thanks for hanging in there ...And I wish to thank Doug for his input as he won you guys over with his comments ....I also wish to thank him for his (fine offer) to perchace my helmet ...but due to logistics him in Canada and me in Ohio it is not possiable for a hands on and a cash deal....at this time ... I also wish to thank Big Ned for his kind words of encouragement ....and as for you collectors of the rare and wonderful ...keep an open mind and keep looking ...and maybe I see you all at the next Show of Shows....Jim in Ohio

Jim, not sure why you can't transact a helmet to Canada...? I buy and sell all the time with our fine neighbors to the North. Doug B can be trusted 100%. I have dealt with Doug for years and I have sold him much higher value helmets than this one, knowing that his check will be on the way and will be good. Seems like a pretty easy deal to me.

Quote by JIM IN OHIO View Post
    .I also wish to thank him for his (fine offer) to perchace my helmet ...but due to logistics him in Canada and me in Ohio it is not possiable for a hands on and a cash deal....at this time ... Jim in Ohio
    I knew Doug had his eye on this one! Doug is a very esteemed and well known collector of SS helmets. He is also an Administrator of the worlds best forum on German Helmets - ( German Helmet Walhalla ) Ultimately Jim, it's up to you what you do with your fine helmet... Doug does have an awful lot of them already

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast