Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M16 Black DD SS helmet

Article about: Since I can't think of anything else. I would guess there is some sort of symbolism involved. The swastika itself stands for Aryan cultural descent, and the red represents Germany. By taking

Default Re: M16 Black DD SS helmet

Since I can't think of anything else. I would guess there is some sort of symbolism involved. The swastika itself stands for Aryan cultural descent, and the red represents Germany. By taking out the Red/Germany maybe they wearer was attempting to show he was not German. Possibly this design was worn by early non-German members of the SS, perhaps they were Austrian or some other nationality. Just one theory. Anybody else have any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Black DD SS helmet
    P
    Many

?

Perhaps a member like FB or d'alquen might know some deep hidden meaning or have photographic provenance of such. Otherwise it escapes me as to why.

Wonderful

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hope you dont mind KM, I attached the pic from Hicks site.
    yes painted around, I had forgotten that. Symbolic? I am not sure. Interesting piece, I thought about this one when it was first posted.

Attachment 501769

No Doug, no problem at all!

Would be great to solve this mystery!
    I will post some new pictures tomorrow!

Thanks for looking and your replys!

Kind Regards,

Michael

Here are more pictures of the helmet!
    Unfortunally no name or unitname in it.

Would be great to solve the mystery on this helmet!

M16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmet

M16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmetM16 Black DD SS helmet

Is there any other exemple of this type of helmet.
    I would be nice to know the reason.
    chris

?

On GHW2 D'alquen posted the most logical explanation for my money I have yet see, that its a post 40 foreign dress or parade helmet and not German. I was wondering about the M40 liner the most actually, moreso than the painted over red national shield. After 1938 black parade and ceremonial helmets were rarely worn in Germany and in fact once war begun the black helmets were refurbished to wartime use and the black overpainted.

The fact this has an M40 liner system, and national shield painted over exposing only the swastika, could well mean that it was foreign (national color painted over) and still in use as a ceremonial or parade helmet post 1938. That explanation does it for me as being the most logical. There are also precedents, like the black Schalburg Korps helmets used in Denmark post 1940.

AIF
    ?

Great helmet! Whoever painted over that decal must have had a really steady hand!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast