Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M35 dd ss et 66

Article about: Hello , I need your thought for this helmet . Chinstraps have been added and do not belong to the helmet . There is a hole on the top of the helmet , a schrapnel or a grave helmet, perhaps .

?

Default M35 dd ss et 66

Hello , I need your thought for this helmet . Chinstraps have been added and do not belong to the helmet . There is a hole on the top of the helmet , a schrapnel or a grave helmet, perhaps . Batch number is 4194 it is an ET 66 .
    Thank You
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 dd ss et 66   M35 dd ss et 66  

M35 dd ss et 66   M35 dd ss et 66  

M35 dd ss et 66  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 dd ss et 66
    P
    Many

My guess would be a grave marker.
    D.

?

xx
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 dd ss et 66   M35 dd ss et 66  

Hi, yes, i think this is a well weathered grave marker helmet as well, good find. Leon.

Quote by real steel View Post
    My guess would be a grave marker.
    D.
    I agree. That hole displays none of the characteristics of a high velocity penetration from a fragment of shrapnel. The surrounding area of the shell is not distorted and I can't see any relevant colour change as is often associated with such. Also, the edges of the hole whilst jagged are straight in relation to the surface of the shell suggesting a solid support on the inside (wooden post maybe?) when the penetration occurred. A steel helmet is not an easy thing to bash a hole through and it takes a lot of force which probably accounts for the jagged outline if something like a pick-axe was used.

It is a fairly poignant atrifact. Do you know where it was recovered?

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-21-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I agree. That hole displays none of the characteristics of a high velocity penetration from a fragment of shrapnel. The surrounding area of the shell is not distorted and I can't see any relevant coulour change as is often associated with such. Also, the edges of the hole whilst jagged are straight in relation to the surface of the shell suggesting a solid support on the inside (wooden post maybe?) when the penetration occurred. A steel helmet is not an easy thing to bash a hole through and it takes a lot of force which probably accounts for the jagged outline if something like a pick-axe was used.

It is a fairly poignant atrifact. Do you know where it was recovered?

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    Thank You Mark ,
    Unfortunately I don't know where the helmet was recovered . If i remember well, helmets from dead soldier were destroyed with a pick axe and left on the cross of the grave .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 dd ss et 66  
    Attached Images Attached Images M35 dd ss et 66 

Sure, if you look at the shape of the hole in the last picture, the lower right of the hole displays about 40% or more of a right angle or square shape similar to the point of a pick axe.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."