Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 ET shells - lot numbers

Article about: well I just learned alot from reading this thread, thank you for the knowledge

Default M35 ET shells - lot numbers

For those of you with Brian Ice's book or other reference, can you let me know if there is any information on these two lot numbers?

M35 ET66 3870
    M35 ET66 4737

Thanks for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 ET shells - lot numbers
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M35 ET shells - lot numbers

What do you want to know?

I'd caution you on taking the book as gospel as it has his personal theories and is self published meaning there was no editing oversight. There are those that disagree or have challenged his theories. If your using the book as a reference to lot numbers only there's an online resource at GHW for veteran members, Brian pulled a lot of his data from there.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Brian pulled a lot of his data from there.
    Really? That's a bit cheeky if you ask me. Did he credit the forum?

?

Not to my knowledge. This is why Frank puts a sort of copyright on it now. Brian to his credit also had a lot of his own lot numbers.

I'm wondering what these two old shells might have been.

4md
    ?

there are three entries in brians book with 4737 m35 double decal police et62, m40 double decal police et62, and m35 double decal heer et64...........and 3870, two entries- et64 double decal police, and et64 double decal heer.
    i only use it as a lot number general guide because as you can see there are different sizes, branches of service,and even an m40 with the same lot number.

I would heed Dougs caution on taking it as gospel.
    regards Paul
    Last edited by 4md; 08-31-2012 at 02:20 AM.

These lot numbers identify a batch of helmets? I'd always assumed that they were individual serial numbers, but if I understand this correctly, there were a bunch of helmets of various sizes stamped with the same lot number which may have gone to one of the organizations within the Wehrmacht/SS? About how many shells were manufactured in a lot? Can I tell when these lots were made? If 35s & 40s were stamped from the same lot, were they made in 1940, or did they reuse the same lot number for both models? Thank you for all of your help.

You can get an idea of when a helmet was made by the lot number with ET helmets, as they were sequential in their numbering, but not other makers. The batch / lot number applied to a batch of steel, and can be found on many helmets. How many, I'm not sure, maybe 500 / 1000 or so? I doubt it is always an exact number as the amount of steel in a batch may have varied and thus the amount of helmets that could be made from it. Once a batch of helmets was ready, they would be painted and decalled to the needs of whatever contracts were running at the time; 600 Luftwaffe, 400 Heer and 300 SS for example. All these helmets would carry the same lot number.

I hope this helped some

4md
    ?

yep, there are helmets with the same lot number. each helmet does not have its own unique number. Im not sure of the amount of helmets, 100,200? with the same lot number.
    A lot number can give you a general time of manufacture e.g 4737 early 1940. like kradspam says et only

My understanding is that the steel works supplies a sheet of steel with a lot number 4737. a batch of helmets are made out of that steel sheet. then the lot number is stamped on the helmets. if the lot fails certain tests, that lot is rejected or beaded

regards Paul

Quote by 4md View Post
    that lot is rejected or beaded

regards Paul
    An interesting little point Paul; I have seen helmets share a lot number, one beaded and one combat spec. Just to make our jobs a little more difficult!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast