Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage

Article about: I have had this one since about 1992, when it was sourced from a vet. The seller had known the vet for many years, and was trying to buy this one from him for a long time. When the vet final

Default M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage

I have had this one since about 1992, when it was sourced from a vet. The seller had known the vet for many years, and was trying to buy this one from him for a long time. When the vet finally let it go I bought it immediately. The seller wouldn't tell me the vet's name, I suspect because he had a lot more booty, but did share the vet's story about the piece. As the story goes, the vet was a machine gunner in Normandy. They set up an ambush in which the mg's covered one side of a hedgerow, and they had mined the reverse side. When the mg's opened fire, the Germans went over the hedge, and one unfortunate soul detonated a mine. When the mine went off, this helmet flew over the hedge into the field, and was picked up by the GI later that day. I don't know if that is true, but the damage is certainly consistent with the story - significant shrapnel damage from the bottom up through the liner band, liner, chin strap bale and dome of the helmet. The chinstrap snapped on the right bale, and the helmet is noticeably "out of round." I have no doubt that the poor bastard was KIA. Anyway, this was originally a double decal SS lid, but the party shield was painted over. It also looks as if the runes are a Pocher decal, so I suspect it was a reissue, and was redecaled when it was reissued. In a data base that I can access there is another Q66 M35 double decal SS with the same lot number and a reinforced aluminum liner band. On this one in one of the chips in the paint covering the decal on the left side of the helmet you can see the red from the party shield that was on this one in its first life. This one was definitely in combat. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage   M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage  

M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage   M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage  

M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage   M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage  

M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage
    P
    Many

Default Re: M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage

I really like it, nice combat use helmet super to know it came from Normandy.You know I am big on Normandy stuff and knowing for sure it came from there even better.That is my type of helmet.

Chris

?

Default Re: M35 SD SS - Former Double Decal/ Reissue - Q66 - Lot # 4287 - Battle Damage

I like this lid as well Jim, definate battle damage no matter what the story is, and from Normandy, cant get much better than that, very nice addition

Yes,I think it's safe to assume that the damage of this helmet definitely ended the war for it's unfortunate wearer...An awesome relic,nonetheless! William

?

Now THAT is a helmet damaged by blast force Jim. Comes with one hell of a story too. Sorry for its former owner, paid the price. As far as a battle damaged helmet Jim this is first class and a poignant reminder of the cost of such wars. Thanks for sharing!
    Doug

?

Jim, we have twins! I was just entering into my database and I have Q 66 DD SS lot number 4287 as well! I posted mine here when I first joined, it was a vet bringback from Berchtesgaden, named and fully researched to SS Officer Rehrl.

I will bet your helmet is an SS LAH unit helmet, as there is plenty of evidence to suggest helmets were parcelled out as made to units in the field en masse. So given mine is a former LAH helmet I will bet yours was to an SS soldier from the LAH as well Jim.

I love when twins are found!!!

One saw the white hot heat of battle and the other was posted to an officer of the Fuhrer's personal guard. 2 very special twins!

Are you able to read the liner frame date? Mine is 39 dated throughout, chinstrap, domestamp and liner band. Bet yours is a 39 as well.

Attachment 208068
    Attachment 208072
    Attachment 208069
    Attachment 208071
    Attachment 208070

Great helmet, with a great combat history, and as doug says you can tell it definatly blast damage. Got to love twins to!

Doug, I really get a big kick when we find twins on these forums, but to now have information that may indicate that this helmet was worn by a combat soldier from the 1rst SS LAH is mind blowing! Thanks for the information. Cheers, Jim G.

That ss helmet from berchtesgaden what a find ,can not be too many of those around.
    I love going to Berchtesgaden what a place .You see it one time and you want to keep going back.
    Even got married just down the road.

Chris