Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion

Article about: Hello, new to the forum but have been reading for a long time. I usually just search for the answers to my questionable material and 99% of the time find the answer lickity split. However, t

Default M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion

Hello, new to the forum but have been reading for a long time. I usually just search for the answers to my questionable material and 99% of the time find the answer lickity split. However, today I am posting this helmet for expert opinions. I bought it as part of a large lot of items (some German militaria and some regular civilian items). I was struck by this helmet. My gut tells me not to get my hopes up because it's SS and the cage is even more rare for authentic items. Fingers crossed, let me know what you good folks think of it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion   M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion  

M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion   M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion  

M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion   M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion
    P
    Many

Hard to use the chinstrap with it being under the wire. Odd? Saying that I believe the chinstrap is a reproduction.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi, sorry but this is not good, too much artificial wear and fake orange rust. The decal is fake, incorrect on this configuration anyway. I am not sure on the chinstrap, I don't think it's good. It's a shame, it looks like this was once a decent no decal lid.

To me the wire looks contrived!...

Can't comment on the decal (other than that it looks a bit like a sticker) but the wire is certainly old and there is evidence of wear into the helmet rim. Other than that, it sure has it all (camo, wire AND netting). Got a feeling that CS has had the old cigarette lighter trick applied to it though...

Thanks for opinions guys. I did as much research as I could before posting. I was reading about re-issued ET M42 police helmets that had the ss decals applied over the old police decal which I thought might count for the decal looking so thick. The other side almost has a ghost shield shape where a decal might have once been, but It's hard to say for sure. I can say that in hand, there's no ridge on either of the four sides. My finger nail slides right over it without catching at all. I knew beforehand that it had a slim chance of being authentic because of how my luck goes if nothing else. But the wire is old. It's pitted evenly throughout and rusted evenly throughout. The chinstrap was treated by the former owner with castor oil as he said it was stiff and threatening to crack. That didn't do it any favors in appearance. I'm hoping that once a consensus of opinions comes in maybe my luck will change....but I doubt it. Lol. Again, thanks for the opinions and the time spent looking and typing.

If the price was right then you got yourself a cool looking lid regardless of originality, I wouldn't be throwing it away based on doubts over the decal or wire.

Some of the scratches that go under the decal are a concern as obviously they were there before the decal was. It could be a reissue as you say given the paint looks reapplied also but all in all I would say you have a nice looking, but humped up, re-enactor's lid.

Round bottom decal....fake. Red rust on the wire....fake...Odd reddish color to the liner....not good...Strike 3....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Late to the party here. Fake decal, wire and chinstrap. Not much more to add....except that maybe the line is swapped "in" but can't tell. As noted, it will be a decent display piece.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The light brown chinstrap and square buckle reminds
    me of Norwegian types, which is perhaps where
    this helmet started from. It would not be as
    costly as a genuine SS lid surely,
    and ok for display.........

( I keep mine separate from originals )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M4- SD-RR-SS helmet with wire for authentication/ expert opinion  
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast