Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

M40 SD SS helmet out of the woodwork today

Article about: Someone ruined the decal by thoroughly scratching off 99% of runes but it has never been in collection or owned by dealer. Was only military item in modern gun collection and elderly man who

?

This helmet looks like it was over painted in the field, most likely. You can see how they painted around the decal instead of masking it off. Many will jump to conclusions and think a GI or liberator defaced/de-nazified the decal but many soldiers did this themselves, either by fear of being singled out or by orders from their superiors . I think we would all love to own a nice lid with the decal intact (..but Doug owns them all), but I wouldn't kick this out of bed for eating crackers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

But, as Doug has said, the lot numbers are no certain way to determine which branch of service it is from. So, without a runic decal on it, it is just a tantalizing regular helmet that "might have been", but nothing more...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

That's what I've gathered William, that lot numbers are just an accumulation of recorded batches, made by collectors and such. Just a reference, from what I've heard, but not an official guide. Too bad there isn't an "official" guide this would help immensely . I suppose the mystery is all part of the hunt.

At the very best, the numbers are simply good for a guesstimate...a "might have been", a "could have been"...but nothing definitive. Who is to say that an SS helmet with lot number 2378 was not the Last one of the batch to be sent off to the Waffens and # 2379 was not the 1st of a batch to go to the Heer? The helmet posted here with no decal left has no SS rank and name written inside the skirt or on the liner, so, in my eyes, anyway, it's just a guess as to what it Could have been....
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    At the very best, the numbers are simply good for a guesstimate...a "might have been", a "could have been"...but nothing definitive. Who is to say that an SS helmet with lot number 2378 was not the Last one of the batch to be sent off to the Waffens and # 2379 was not the 1st of a batch to go to the Heer? The helmet posted here with no decal left has no SS rank and name written inside the skirt or on the liner, so, in my eyes, anyway, it's just a guess as to what it Could have been....
    Are we looking at the same helmet ? The helmet I'm seeing has a 50% decal ?

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I have a DN197 listed as SS, Doug's database is bigger.Lets see what that yields.
    I concur. And looking at the new photos of the helmet and decal there is no doubt in my mind this is a defaced but good Q SS M40.

I guess I'm a wee bit confused here, Doug. On one thread (Question M35 SS sd helmet - messed with decal?) you said that helmet lot numbers have no bearing on what service branch a helmet was but the numbers on this one Do? Aside from Frank's database stating that a DN197 is an SS, what else about this particular helmet is saying SS to you? It's been said that it's got a 50% decal on it, but all I'm seeing here is the outline of the shield and a few bits of white. For those of us that are watching this thread, could you tell us what to look for here? No one is arguing, but I'd just like to know why and what is the story with this particular helmet with very little discernible decal and why it is almost definitely an SS ? It would be a good reference to know for the future!
    William

?

Hi William,

Simply, It's a good factory applied Q SS decal, on a Q helmet, hence it's an SS helmet. There is enough decal left to identify it as good. The decal construction, pulver, border, ink, age, and what little is left of the runes is enough for me to confidently make that assessment based on the photos provided.

That is just knowing what to look for based on experience and handling a few hundred SS helmets. It's probably not something easily transferable via a forum.

The matching lot number has little to do with it but the fact there is a match is a good sign, but is not the reason it's an SS. It is also clearly within the range when Quist applied these decals on M40 helmets.

Cheers
    Doug

?

Thank you all for weighing in with your opinions and vast combined knowledge. I own 4 helmets outside of this one and have handled many more, and this helmet to me in-hand appeared 100% right. I definitely wanted some other opinions though as I am not an expert. I would like to keep it as I do not own an SS helmet but circumstances I'm afraid are going to cause it to find a new home.

?

That's too bad, it's always nice to have an SS helmet or sixty laying around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast