Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M40 winter camo

Article about: Hello guys, just had 2 camo's in. First I share this winter camo. Later I will share a sud camo M35. I feel pretty confident about this M40. Was looking for some opinions. Sorry for the whit

?

Just to compare - here is a LuftSchutz helmet with white camo - which I think it's good - it was in an attic of an old house/barn in Eibenstock, Germany near the Czech border in the last 70 or so years - the paint was applied with a brush.
    (last pic is a late-war photo of white camo LuftSchutz helmet - see the man in the far left)

M40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 winter camo
    P
    Many

?

I made some indoor photos (note: due to the artificial led light, all whites look "whiter")
    The story: a "gladiator" and an M34 were both found in the same place*, but the M34 was sold to someone else. I was lucky to track it down and was able to buy it (for twice as much of course), but at least both helmets now are with me, not separated.
    Both were painted by the same hand - the gladiator is around 58 size the M34 is 64 size, probably worn by a younger man or woman - probably a girl - I found some long blonde hair in the liner.

* see post #21

M40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camo

and the M34:
    M40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camo

and finally, I found another wartime photo (same grouping as in post #21) with handpainted LuftSchutz winter-camo helmet:
    M40 winter camoM40 winter camo

Cheers,
    Fabe

The toughest of all camos to vet. White ones.
    yours look like a chalky whitewash of a sort. Some will say...I hear it often: "OOOh, it's got rust bleeding through, that should not be" Well my answer is "So what ?" Why should there not be rust bleeding through after 70 years ? Perfectly acceptable IMO. White helmets whether oil based paint or "whitewash" will always get mixed reviews. As long as you are happy & convinced they are period applied, all that matters.

These two I see no "Red flags" to tell me they are not period done. Plus, sounds like you have some sort of provenance supporting them.
    Your pics are very nice also

?

Quote by real steel View Post
    The toughest of all camos to vet. White ones.
    yours look like a chalky whitewash of a sort. Some will say...I hear it often: "OOOh, it's got rust bleeding through, that should not be" Well my answer is "So what ?" Why should there not be rust bleeding through after 70 years ? Perfectly acceptable IMO. White helmets whether oil based paint or "whitewash" will always get mixed reviews. As long as you are happy & convinced they are period applied, all that matters.

These two I see no "Red flags" to tell me they are not period done. Plus, sounds like you have some sort of provenance supporting them.
    Your pics are very nice also
    Thanks for your in-put - I agree, I'm not too concerned about red rust. See that white camo jerry can in the backround? 100% original white-wash over panzer-gray, and with red rust showing through... (I'll post some pics here in this post)
    These helmets were a "private" purchase from a car-mechanic who was going through an old shed, selling them for a cheap price for just wanting to get rid of them (the M34 was a bit more), not from a military dealer or collector. He had no reason to "mess with them" - or if he did, he wouldn't have sold them for a low price.
    Of course nothing is 100%, but I'm happy with these, planning to create 2 piece Luftschutz civilian dummy display (a teen-aged brother and sister), when I get around for it.

M40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camo

That's cool, building the mannequins boy & girl. Plus you already have some of the blonde hair ! Yep...got no reason to think the Jerry cans are not period done either.
    Helmet in bottom pic, left looks good too by the way. Is that tan or patina wear on white aged that it almost looks tan ?
    You have some nice stuff

?

...and while I'm posting pics...
    Here is my ground-dug winter-camo M40 - with not white wash but oil-based paint on it, due to condition, some good "yellowing" of the white - almost looks like tan camo ( maybe it is, I can't tell for sure )

M40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camoM40 winter camo

This sort of winter finish would make me feel more comfortable than a full sprayed glossy one...

M40 winter camo

..... but then again, there were "airbrush artists" at the time too!!

M40 winter camo

I wonder if he did runes? ........
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I've seen photos of field painting and they used brushes.

........ or dabbed it on with cloth.......
    Attached Images Attached Images M40 winter camo 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Fantastic pic !! Never saw this one. So...if this helmet had survived & was posted on a forum, would probably get poor reviews because the application is not brushed as collectors expect or insist whitewash should be

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3