Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

m42 ss decal battle dug opinion needed please

Article about: Yes but there is not much decal left. I am almost sure Doug will need a microscope pic to tell if it's good or not. I somehow think it's ok, but there are some "good" artists out t

?

Default Re: m42 ss decal battle dug opinion needed please

Yes but there is not much decal left. I am almost sure Doug will need a microscope pic to tell if it's good or not. I somehow think it's ok, but there are some "good" artists out there. But to me it looks like it have not been applied post war. Then again i also noticed the odd coloration to the left of the decal. This a hard one to judge from these pics. Better lighting needed.

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Hi guys, I'm afraid that decal is too far gone to tell but I don't see any signs of cleaning or tampering with the area around the decal. Those with a lot of experience with authentic ground dug items might be better suited to judge a helmet in this state. Sorry I can't be more definitive in my opinion of the decal.

Thank you all for the input and advice, well I did purchase it for around 100, it seems that its one of those items you cant know for sure about unless you dug it up yourself. I wanted a old looking damaged lid and also trying too collect on a budget. I will lean toward it being real since Its coming from the area it was dug. but I will also be more carefull in the future.

?

Just remember playing around on I offer is a lot like playing with matches sooner or later you will get burned and it will be painfull to the pocket book.

Regards Mark K

?

Despite the odd looking coloration to the left of the decal i think it's authentic WW2. I have been looking a lot at it and i think it will be really hard to fake the whole helmet. The rust pitting and remnants of paint looks consistent. If faked it means that somebody would have spent i don't know how long to sit and drip acid on each and every rust pitting. A shame we can't see the inside of the helmet. Please post pics of it when you get it.

Regards, Lars

Here are the other pics of it, bottom and back of helmet, I will definatly take closer pics when I get it, im less worried about the authenticity of it being real with scrapnel or bullet damage and more worried about the ss decal. faking it that well would be tough and considering that digging up helmets in that area isnt impossible its likely the real deal, the decal is the rare part so thats why the fake alarms go off, the left side of the helmet kinda looks like there may have been a decal there but it decayed over time, I will look closer when I get it, now if i would have paid thousands for it not knowing how rare real decal finds are I would be crapping my pants right now lol.
    Thanks again for all your input you guys are really great and looking over this site is a huge help
    Attachment 361340Attachment 361341

trying pics again.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original-ww2-german-m42-ss-helmet-from-kurland-latvia-b437.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	361351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original-ww2-german-m42-ss-helmet-from-kurland-latvia-2ef9.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	361352

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    yea I realize alot of fake stuff is on ioffer, the seller is also on ebay and lives in latvia, he digs the stuff up there, I assumed he couldnt sell it on ebay because of the ss decal, couldnt it be real??? I mean where else could someone in a 3rd world country try to sell it? but I am a newbie here just hoping not everything is faked......
    I think Latvia should belong for 2-ond world countryie,s-Because our politics are so professional ass kissers to the rest of the world.
    About seller of this helmet(actualy it,s looks real for me,as i,ve seen lot of such condition helmets)-you can write down the name of seller and i can ask to some friends of mine,or maybe i already know him.

?

Although I wont comment on the decal, I will say this , theres nothing wrong in buying a relic helmet, however, Im sure that most of our relic diggers will agree that there are some limits that you should consider, avoid helmets that are wafer thin, the chances are that when you receive it through the post there may be a pile of rust in the box with little left of the actual helmet, also dont get fooled into believing that a helmet has battle damage just because it has rust holes in it, to me this one looks like it has recieved a few hits with a pick axe, it is sometimes difficult to seperate battle damage from rust erosion and tool damage

The only thing I'll add to the party is that the rust and pitting is uniform all over the lid including under the decal area. I would imagine the decal would protect it to some degree. However harsh the soil conditions, the condition of the shell should vary slightly in that area at least shouldn't it? There are guys here that have already commented with way more experience than me with relic decals though.

I'd get a close up on the left decal area too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast