Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My first SD SS helmet

Article about: Hello, can someone please tell me if the decal is authentic? Thanks in advance!

If it is ET shell, it should have an ET runic shield, the dimensions of which are, likewise, very different from the graphics on this fake Pocher runic shield.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first SD SS helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by Roccatje View Post
    Hi Leon, thank you for your help! I bought the helmet on an auction in Tallahasee US. I already complaind to the auctionhouse that the helmet is not ok as they said. Now there asking me to send an email from the experts (you...) with the explenation why it's not an authentic helmet. Could you help me? Thanks in advance! Kind regards Peter
    You can tell them exactly what Leon said in post 5. These are NOT Quist (Q is the maker) decals. If anything this fake decal is a poor attempt to copy the C.A. Pocher runic shield which should not be on an M40 Quist produced helmets.

A few things to point out to the Auction house.
    1) Pocher stype decals have only been observed (and rarely at that) on M35 helmets. All M40's should have Quist style decals
    2) This is NOT a Quist decal (see #1 above ) See picture below. Yellow line is where the SS runes should end. The red line is where the SS runes on Pocher style decals end
    3) Also and most importantly this is a fake Pocher decal for a number of reasons. The three I will point out here are a) that all along the border of the SS runes there should be a noticeable darker edge to the black (refer to the green lines). This is because the actually runes were a separate component of the decal that was added "OVER" the metallic background, thus creating the aforementioned darker edge just inside the green lines I have drawn. B) the white background (from these pictures) do not appear to have a metallic background and C) the inside corner of each of the runes (where the top and bottom meet) should generally have a less sharp and precise angle (somewhat rounded). This varies a bit between different decals but from what I can see here, it is very pointed. Finally, and I'm not sure of this because picture angle has a lot to do with this, the area between the break in the lines to the bottom of the point appears to be too long.

I also suspect the whole helmet has been messed with. I'm not sure if the exterior paint has not been touched up or re-sprayed. Also interior shots of the line, liner band as well as the split pin rivets will tell us if the helmet has been put together.

You can also tell the Auctioneer to look at Ken Niewiarowicz book, "Helmet decals of the Third Reich" pages 155 as well as pages 161 through 165

Edit: I took too long to type and submit my comment (my wife called me away for 20 minutes...LoL). Jim beat me to the punch and his comments are spot on. The good news (LoL) is that my observations are right in line with everything he said....shows I'm learning...

My first SD SS helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I was at a military auction today. Much of the SS stuff was fake. And it went for big money too.
    I honestly don't think that many of the people who run the auction houses know whether these items are fake or not.

Hi guys, first I want to thank you all for the advice!!! Leon, I will contact Kelly Hicks and ask him if he wants to help me. If I look at the decal, just above the pocher decal is another black line with pieces of white...could it be that there was a authentic Q decal before, I don't know. Jim and Helmet2id, on the wearer's left side the helmet is stamped Q66. The chinstrap is stamped G Singer Klattau 1941. Later on I will attach some pictures of the inside of the helmet. Regards Peter

Hi guys, first I want to thank you all for the advice!!! Leon, I will contact Kelly Hicks and ask him if he wants to help me. If I look at the decal, just above the pocher decal is another black line with pieces of white...could it be that there was a authentic Q decal before, I don't know. Jim and Helmet2id, on the wearer's left side the helmet is stamped Q66. The chinstrap is stamped G Singer Klattau 1941. Later on I will attach some pictures of the inside of the helmet. Regards Peter
    Hi Peter, when I say this bear in mind that the LOT number data base books by Brian Ice are only a guide and do not mean anything definite as helmets were not necessarily sent to one branch of service as a "whole or part" lot! That said Q66 DN243 could be an SS helmet according to the book, but it could also have been a Luftwaffe or Heer helmet as there are examples of those as well on the list for that number???? Maybe it was an SS as the remnants of decal are on the correct side for SS and not Luftwaffe or Heer. Leon.

Hi Leon, I am thinking about selling my authentic mp44, g43 and k98 and get me a nice SS helmet!

Hi Leon, I am thinking about selling my authentic mp44, g43 and k98 and get me a nice SS helmet!
    Well if you do mate, post up a potential purchase here for review before you pay out! That said, if you go to Kelly's site (SS steel) you will find some cracking helmets, all I would say is that my personal preference would be to avoid anything known as the "champagne" decal. Some collectors like them, others like myself do not, that is one for your own thoughts! I would stick to the 100% known and accepted Pocher, Quist, EF and ET decal. Leon.

MAP
    ?

I would take a mp44, g43 and a K98 over an SS helmet any day. Are they fully functional?

But that's just me, and easy for me to say.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, normaly they are...I haven't try them yet. Want to thank you too for all the information according the helmet. Do you have authentic SS helmets? Regards Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast