Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?

Article about: There's nothing wrong with relic helmets, 5 of my 6 lids are ground dug. To have this collection as non relic would have set me back easily \\$15000 I reckon so for the collector on a budget,

Default Re: Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?

There's nothing wrong with relic helmets, 5 of my 6 lids are ground dug. To have this collection as non relic would have set me back easily $15000 I reckon so for the collector on a budget, relic is the way to go. Also when you buy from the digger you can be pretty sure of the origin of the find too which adds to the interest factor IMO. Plus as funds permit I can always upgrade them if I wish.

From left to right we have:
    - M35 double decal - Estonia (Narva area)
    - M40 double decal - Demjansk find
    - M40 SS SD - North Karelia find
    - M40 Police - no idea on origin (non relic helmet)
    - M40 SD wire - Italy (Cassino area)
    - M35 double decal Lufty - no idea on origin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?
    P
    Many

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with relic helmets, 5 of my 6 lids are ground dug. To have this collection as non relic would have set me back easily $15000 I reckon so for the collector on a budget, relic is the way to go. Also when you buy from the digger you can be pretty sure of the origin of the find too which adds to the interest factor IMO. Plus as funds permit I can always upgrade them if I wish.

Glenn-your helmet exposition is just great-simply with real taste !

Thank you for the kind words! I realise such helmets aren't to everyones taste but I think they tell a real story.

very nice glenn

?

Thank you for the kind words! I realise such helmets aren't to everyones taste but I think they tell a real story.
    Nice display! Have you posted the SS before?

Outstanding display Glenn, good gawd it looks great! I got a beautiful relic helmet from Paul and I love it. To each, his own.

Jay

?

Glen, thats a pretty cool collection, I like that M40 SS you have, looks like it has some cool charractor! Any chance of some close ups?

regards
    Samir

?

What relic helmets (and relics in general) lack in monetary value, they certainly compensate for in in authenticity and telling a story. Especially when you go and dig them and document well what you are doing. There is an abundance of leads and hints out there telling the story of what once happened. Relics is found where they were used and in their "natural", and intended for use environment. I don't want to put all the very nice looking and expensive lids down, they are great for reference i.e, but they have been handled and fondled for about 70 years and often their story is lost or faked. Also when it comes to resroring a really banged up relic helmet, some of the "real" helmet collectors see this as almost sacrilidge. I don't understand this standpoint at all.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Nice display! Have you posted the SS before?
    Not in its entirety. I'll take some closeups next time the wife goes out as this lid, the Demjansk and the Lufty spend their days in boxes hidden in the storeroom. The SS is an ET64 and the lot No is 61 which matches to another on the GHW database. Right now I have only an external shot, the decal (which I know you all want to see ) and the size stamp.

It is a little embarassing in that what I thought was whitewash around the rim in the sellers photos actually turned out to be body filler from an abandoned attempt to 'repair' the corroded rim. So she looks better 'from a distance'. I'd like to try to remove the filler with very fine sandpaper but I think I'd also damage the underlying paint in the process so for now, it remains 'as is'.

Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?Need help! Cheap SS helmet full of holes genuine?

?

Very Nice Glenn this has loads of Character .

Greg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast