MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used

Article about: Joined: 19-June 10 1,281 posts This one arrived last week. It is an M18 style shell, marked ET66. I believe it to be an interwar commercially produced M18 helmet, because under the maker/siz

Default No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used

1,281 posts

This one arrived last week. It is an M18 style shell, marked ET66. I believe it to be an interwar commercially produced M18 helmet, because under the maker/size stamp there is a lot number stamping, "2360", which type of stamp in that location I have never encountered in a WWI vintage ET M18 helmet. It is fitted with a reinforced aluminum banded M31 liner, faintly ink stamped size 57, very dry and brittle, an portions of the chin strap. It is template sprayed with a coat of blue-gray colored paint encountered on early SS RZM helmets. There is also what I believe to be a very rare neck stamp on the apron of the piece that is identical in font and number/letter sequence to helmet showcased in the Featured Helmet section of Kelly Hicks' site in May 2012, which reads "Kdtr. K.L.S. 13". According to Kelly, this stamping "may be the designation for the Standortkommandantur of the Sachsenhausen Camp, which was Eiche's main administrative camp for the SS-TV (located at Berlin/Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg)." This one was most definitely KZ used. Thanks to Chris and Jules, who encouraged me to buy this one, and to Kelly, Doug B., and Al Barrows who helped me confirm the meaning of the neck stamp and its certain association with the horrors of the camps. Jim G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used   No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used  

No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used   No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used
    P
    Many

Default Re: No Decal M18 SS Transitional - KZ Used

Jim! I think you have a hidden gem here mate!! Give me a few mins to dig out some info.

Edit: I didn't read your full description, you are up to speed it seems I was distracted at work and I just saw the stamps in the neck and nearly fell off my chair congrats on such a unique pot mate.

?

Jim this truly is an iconic piece. Let me know if you ever plan to part with it sir! My compliments on a real artifact of history.

?

You certainly don't see many of these around Jim,a very rare bird and an interesting albeit a brutal history associated with it,congratulations on another fine helmet

Must better pictures than the seller had.
    great addition to your collection.
    only the second one ,that we know of.
    chris

A truly rare helmet with so much history.What a great find,i doubt we will ever see to many of these. Leon.

Great helmet Jim.

?

There is about 10 more here in Germany and some in Austria.
    Also other markings have been found in other helmets all camp related .
    There is no information why this was done.
    A rare helmet ,in a dream condition.
    If you ever sell it contact me.

Congratulation on a very special and most interesting helmet. This is the kind of militaria, that has a kind of history, that really sets it apart ! You almost feel the horror this helmet has witnessed !
    Envy is a bad think :-)
    Mfg
    Marc

?

Very interesting helmet! IMO, not the same helmet on Hicks site, different manufacture, but I do feel this is without a doubt an SS-TV helmet. I also agree that "Kdtr KLS 13" is the designation of the camp as have been said. I inquired about the helmet's manufacture on Hick's site a couple of months ago. Interesting pieces of SS history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast