Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this helmet

Article about: Gentlemen I was wondering if I could get your opinions on this helmet that is coming up for sale. I'm not a helmet expert by any means and would appreciate your thoughts. Also what might you

?

Default Opinions on this helmet

Gentlemen I was wondering if I could get your opinions on this helmet that is coming up for sale. I'm not a helmet expert by any means and would appreciate your thoughts. Also what might your top price you'd pay for this helmet if it checks out ok? Thanks in advance. Opinions on this helmetOpinions on this helmetOpinions on this helmetOpinions on this helmetOpinions on this helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I say it's a "round bottom" fake ET pattern decal. But happy to stand corrected.

Can you tell us the lot # and maker of the helmet?

I think I can make out part of the lot # of DN43. I may be wrong but that I think would indicate a Q or NS lot number.

And if a Q....the nail in the coffin is that this is an ET pattern decal.

And if an NS? Well NS didn't make SS helmets...unless this is a Champagne Rune fraud (Edit: To clarify - No NS SS helmet is considered real)

Michael
    Last edited by MAP; 01-28-2017 at 04:35 AM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I'll see if I can get better pictures, but the listing says it's stamped DN43 on back and NS66 on the left?

MAP
    ?

Quote by cdavid View Post
    I'll see if I can get better pictures, but the listing says it's stamped DN43 on back and NS66 on the left?
    As suspected.

NS did NOT make SS helmets. Nor did SE. Only ET, EF and Q.

So needless to say. This is bad.

I can not say if this is a Champagne rune fake or just a different fake decal (round bottom fake?). Others with more experience might be able to provide this.

But it's always nice to not rely on just one opinion So listen to what others might have to say.

You can read up on Champagne decals here

SS Runic Decal Reference Section

Also just do a search on the forum using keyword "NS SS" and also "Champagne".

Edit: You should tell the Auction house.....

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Michael I appreciate the input and I'm definitely going to read through that reference section and the forum on that. This forum is an awesome resource for beginning collectors like myself! This auction has a lot of stuff up that is being sold in lots with just one picture and is kind of iffy in my opinion, but they are describing some as repros to be fair. Just not which ones exactly!

MAP
    ?

Happy to provide my "opinion". It is just that . I have, nor will I ever call myself an expert. I'm sure others with more experience will be around to confirm the information I have provide is correct (and hopefully not wrong).

That said my comments above are based off what I have learned from: DougB's thread as well as his other work (Helmet to Decal comparisons), listening to other more knowledgeable collectors, and what is published in Ken Niewiarowicz's book "The Helmet Decals of the Third Reich"

?

Quote by cdavid View Post
    This forum is an awesome resource for beginning collectors like myself! This auction has a lot of stuff up that is being sold in lots with just one picture and is kind of iffy in my opinion, but they are describing some as repros to be fair. Just not which ones exactly!
    WRForum is a gold mine. If you dig well, your knowledge will be the first weapon against fakes and robbers.
    Members are kind and smart.
    You can show your support with a pink name and join the fellow.

Hi, as Michael has already pointed out, this is a one look fake decal. There are also no known SS helmets listed in the DN range from 1 through to 60. Leon