Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet

Article about: Hello, I have been offered this helmet to buy. It looks like it might be OK, but I am no expert, and from what I have learned here on the forum so far, it very well could be a fake. I do not

Default Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet

Hello, I have been offered this helmet to buy. It looks like it might be OK, but I am no expert, and from what I have learned here on the forum so far, it very well could be a fake. I do not seriously collect SS items or helmets really, but I do own one relic SS belt buckle that I know is an authentic buckle, and two relic WH helmets with nice decals intact, that I are real and untouched.
    I was thinking of getting this helmet also, but only if authentic.

What do you other members think of it?

Is the hole from battle damage? or just a rust hole?

If it's real, would about $200US shipped to me be a fair price for it?

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet   Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet  

Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet   Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet  

Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet   Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet  

Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet  
    Last edited by Kilroy Was Here; 06-09-2010 at 03:51 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions please- SS M42 sd Helmet

I always find it difficult to make a judgement on relic helmets in this condition with decals so I'm not 100% sure what to say about this one. But to me the decal on this helmet looks to be in a lot better condition than the rest of the helmet. By the looks of things there is very little or no paint left yet the decal is still there.... I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing and I'l like this to be a genuine SS helmet, but something about it makes me think that the decal has been added to increase the value.

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I always find it difficult to make a judgement on relic helmets in this condition with decals so I'm not 100% sure what to say about this one. But to me the decal on this helmet looks to be in a lot better condition than the rest of the helmet. By the looks of things there is very little or no paint left yet the decal is still there.... I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing and I'l like this to be a genuine SS helmet, but something about it makes me think that the decal has been added to increase the value.

Thanks

Danny

Thanks Danny, you're right, good points. It is very hard to tell these days. To me it looks OK, but the points you make are valid also. Let's see what others say. This will be interesting. It usually is with these magical mystical SS things.

Regards, Steve

WWII collector
    ?

heres my guess
    75% real
    25% fake

Quote by WWII collector View Post
    heres my guess
    75% real
    25% fake
    Is it just me or does that make no sense at all? how can a decal be 75% real and 25% fake?

Thanks

Danny

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Thanks Danny, you're right, good points. It is very hard to tell these days. To me it looks OK, but the points you make are valid also. Let's see what others say. This will be interesting. It usually is with these magical mystical SS things.

Regards, Steve
    Its all part of the learning process that we all go through with this kind of thing I also think that the decal is maybe a little too white for something thats been taken out of the ground. Its an interesting relic though, imagine the storys it could tell if it could talk?

Thanks

Danny

Quote by WWII collector View Post
    heres my guess
    75% real
    25% fake
    I think this means 75% (the helmet is real)

And 25% (the decal is fake)

Is this what you mean WWII collector?

Regards, Steve

I'm sure the helmet is more than 75%

I think I get where he's coming from now

Thanks

Danny

imagine the storys it could tell if it could talk?

Thanks

Danny

I have always wondered this same thing about all these war relics we all collect.

?

imagine the storys it could tell if it could talk?
    I think the first thing this helmet would say is "someone applied a fake Pocher decal to me and do not pay $200 for me".

The decal displays nothing of a real Pochers construction which it should in this state of decay should it be authentic, and the print of the graphics is incorrect. Add to that it appears to be applied overtop of the rust as opposed to the rust forming around and underneath the decal and this helmet should be yelling at you to run away!

For $200 you can buy a nice no decal helmet shell that is not a ground found relic btw and be 100% sure of its authenticity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast