Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Puzzled by this SS relic M42

Article about: I have been trying to figure out what's going on with this one for ages now and got nowhere. The people who are selling this helmet are good people who I have bought helmets from, a moderato

Default Puzzled by this SS relic M42

I have been trying to figure out what's going on with this one for ages now and got nowhere. The people who are selling this helmet are good people who I have bought helmets from, a moderator on this forum is also personal friends with them so I trust them completely! So what do you lot think about this... Its a DOUBLE decal SS M42 ( I Know.... ) Here are the pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Puzzled by this SS relic M42   Puzzled by this SS relic M42  

Puzzled by this SS relic M42   Puzzled by this SS relic M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Puzzled by this SS relic M42
    P
    Many

Default Re: Puzzled by this SS relic M42

I'm not an expert in any shape or form, but this seems like a good honest, original relic

Thanks

Danny

looks like a nice double decal ss estonian or latvian legion helmet , i like it .

were foreign volunteer m42's double decaled??

?

This helmet was found on the Nederland positions at Narwa , i have seen it in the flesh and although it goes against all knowledge on M42's ie no decal or single decal only, it's hard to fault it !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Looks genuine ,but always thought m42s where single decal or none,maybe some ss units where different.

?

some foreign ss volunteers had ss decals on both sides but generally m42s were single decal , rgds Dave

Apparently a significant number of M42 double decal combat police helmets manufactured by EF were issued to foreign volunteer SS troops, Ukrainians and other Ost groups, and a Pocher Runic decal was applied over the Police eagle. According to the reference books, since most of these units were decimated on the Ost front, very few of the reverse decal M42 SS helmets survived the War. I have also seen one or 2 M42 double decal SS helmets with the decals in standard configuration, but these are EXTREMELY rare. Occasionally you may also come across a reissued M42 SD SS with evidence of a Herr or Luft decal on the left, from the lid's former service life, and of course there are examples of M42 Double Runic M42 helmets as well. As with most TR items, the "rule" is not always 100%. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 05-05-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: to add info

?

This one certainly goes against the norm but what is the norm really !! SS decal on the left always means Foreign volunteer ?? I;ve seen comtempory period photos of the LAH at Kharkov in 1943 wearing lids with the runic decal on the left and then of course their is the famous photo of RKT Remy Schrynen wearing a lid with a runic decal on the left with the runes reversed !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Helmet decals were available to be privately purchased from retail shops, drug stores, and clothing dealers. Going against the rules regarding decals seems to have been popular especially amongst foreign volunteers. This phobia of double decal helmets seems to be a bit excessive!