Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Question about M42 SS Lid???

Article about: Hello Folks, I know somebody on this forum would have an answer for me. Would there have been any M42 Lids SS ? Thank you in advance..

Default Question about M42 SS Lid???

Hello Folks, I know somebody on this forum would have an answer for me. Would there have been any M42 Lids SS ? Thank you in advance..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about M42 SS Lid???
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Question about M42 SS Lid???

Yes I believe there would have been. Even though decals may have been discontinued for official wear, soldiers were able to private purchase decals, and I am sure SS units would have continued to use them to show off!

Thanks qotd, I figured that SS would still be issued M42, But without decal makes sence, Can you tell an SS helmet by any other means? numbers? letters
    before the helmet size?

?

I believe the only difference between a Heer M42 and a SS one is the decals! I don't know of any other stampings that a no decal shell would have to distinguish it. The only thing that MAY happen is if it had a unit written in it. Some helmets are stamped with unit markings inside, but this I believe is rare, or the particular soldier who owned it may have his name and unit. But all steel helmets were mass produced and just issued as made to different units.

Yes, there were m42 SS helmets with decals. I own one. Typically they will be an EF, ckl manufactured. These helmets were early before the order of decal removed or not applied.

DougB or others who specialize in this field can give you better information.

regards, Tyrone

?

As Ty has stated there are many M42 SS decaled helmets, and plenty of period photographic evidence to support this. M42 models EF, ET/ckl and hkp were the most common found with SS decals. EF had their own unique decal and is quite a striking decal, while ET used their decal along with the probable private contract Champagne decal which is also common on hkp M42 helmets as well. Occasionally you will find CA Pocher decals in a reverse application on former M42 police helmets where the CA Pocher will cover the police decal, or be added to the left side of an EF decal which is pretty cool to have an EF and CA Pocher decaled SS helmet. These CA Pocher decals were field applied, and probably to foreign volunteers or as said, former Polezei units. The no decal order came down in November 1943 but there is no proof to show the execution of the order was immediate in all factories.

Other than an SS decal, there is no way to tell if a no decal helmet served with an SS unit unless it was personalized and unit marked or the very slim chance that helmet cover clips made indelible markings on the underside of the skirt. I have seen a no decal M42 that was for certain adorned with an SS helmet cover, it was obvious where the clips had rubbed the paint off the skirt edge and rub marks from the clips were prevelant in the 3, 6 and 9 o clock positions.

Hope that answers the question.

Quote by qotd View Post
    Yes I believe there would have been. Even though decals may have been discontinued for official wear, soldiers were able to private purchase decals, and I am sure SS units would have continued to use them to show off!
    The M42 came into production in 1942 , Wehrmacht decals (Not political decals) were not being put on anymore late 1943. So ample time for a lot of M42's to have SS decals.
    I have never ever seen an M42 with private purchase decal , all have had the expected factory decal.

Quote by Ty Revelo View Post
    Yes, there were m42 SS helmets with decals. I own one. Typically they will be an EF, ckl manufactured. These helmets were early before the order of decal removed or not applied.

regards, Tyrone
    Ckl and EF would appear to have made the most M42 , SE to a lesser extent. Q M42 are all ND but they started only in 1944 with them.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I have never ever seen an M42 with private purchase decal , all have had the expected factory decal.
    Frank your forgetting field applied Pocher decals usually found in reverse application on ex Polezei helmets or as double runics, and the odd one with a field applied Pocher in it's correct right hand position. As for "private purchase" or manufactured decals no I have never seen a private variant on an M42, production was pretty much standardized by that point.

Thank you all for your excellent analysis, Reason I asked I may have given a friend of mine some wrong info, And hopefully he has not missed a chance at buying this M42, SS Lid, I really thought it not possible, Should have check here on this forum before speaking. I have no photos to share, I have not seen it myself, But he tells me its a beautiful M42 SS Lid, and it's a ET64, He told me the owners Dad is getting place in assisted liveing, 93 YO, and this lid came out of the attic,

?

If you can get some photos that would be great would love to see it.