Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for

Article about: Guys, Doug has done an excellent sticky on the correct styles of SS decal. I suggest we refer to that first. The intent of this thread was to point out the juxtaposition of a completely rust

Guys, Doug has done an excellent sticky on the correct styles of SS decal. I suggest we refer to that first.
    The intent of this thread was to point out the juxtaposition of a completely rusted helmet having what appears to be a complete decal and the improbability of such occurring.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for
    P
    Many

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Slados , I am not trying to "stir" in the slightest but may we see your good one in this thread to highlight the differences between a genuine relic decal(SS or otherwise) and the terrible fakes as have been highlighted already.(I am not doubting your one , just like to see the comparison) Leon.
    Sure. I've already posted it in a separate thread and you're actually one of the few who commented

Relic SS M40 ET64 SS-Skijegerbataljon Norge

Decal has been all but absorbed by the paint so perhaps not what some would refer to as a "one-looker" but going by decal construction relative to shell maker, source, input from experienced collectors and examination of decal under microscope it all checks out. M40 ET64, lot number 39 with ET decal, found in Karelia:

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Guys, Doug has done an excellent sticky on the correct styles of SS decal. I suggest we refer to that first.
    The intent of this thread was to point out the juxtaposition of a completely rusted helmet having what appears to be a complete decal and the improbability of such occurring.

Dan
    I posted my reply to Fallschirmjager before I saw this post so if you feel it's off topic I apologize --- but, then again, wouldn't it be nice to have a few original/verified as genuine RELIC examples to compare with alongside the blatant fakes? Just a suggestion. DougB's reference thread is excellent and I've put it to good use myself but I don't think it shows any good relic SS decals... ?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Sure. I've already posted it in a separate thread and you're actually one of the few who commented

Relic SS M40 ET64 SS-Skijegerbataljon Norge

Decal has been all but absorbed by the paint so perhaps not what some would refer to as a "one-looker" but going by decal construction relative to shell maker, source, input from experienced collectors and examination of decal under microscope it all checks out. M40 ET64, lot number 39 with ET decal, found in Karelia:

Hello again Slados , I didn't realise it was the same example! I still like yours , the decal looks a good ET that is solid to the base metal. There is no "under the decal" pitting as you see on the threads " look out for"! Leon.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I posted my reply to Fallschirmjager before I saw this post so if you feel it's off topic I apologize --- but, then again, wouldn't it be nice to have a few original/verified as genuine RELIC examples to compare with alongside the blatant fakes? Just a suggestion. DougB's reference thread is excellent and I've put it to good use myself but I don't think it shows any good relic SS decals... ?
    Good idea, I know glenn66 has a good example too. Lets hear whether the forum mods think it worthwhile?
    Cheers, Dan

Here's my tired old ET relic! 2 shots in different light for comparison.

Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for

Thanks Glenn for showing yours again. With the large amount of paint remaining ( similar to Slados28's ) that's what I feel a decal would most likely look like on that grade of relic.

These two roughies ( a M40 & M42 of mine ) are all you could expect to remain on a rusted shell devoid of paint - IMO - certainly nothing like the examples in the rogues gallery seen in the opening post.

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for   Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for  

Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for   Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3