Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for

Article about: Guys, Doug has done an excellent sticky on the correct styles of SS decal. I suggest we refer to that first. The intent of this thread was to point out the juxtaposition of a completely rust

Default Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for

Having been caught twice on these before I have now finally learnt what to watch out for, AND with others also falling foul recently, I thought I would put together a photo collage showing the similar traits exhibited by these relic shells when I believe someone has added decals to an otherwise plain, rusty ground dug helmet, calls it a genuine SS, makes up a background story and then triples or more the asking price.

I know from experience how hard a pill it is to swallow when another forum member declares that your 'prize' is a fake but have a look at the common features when a decal is added to a rusty surface and make up your own minds.

Yes the images are small and unclear ( I believe deliberately so ) and have been cropped down from photos from various sellers on the internet, all portraying these as genuine SS relics. I have not shown the whole helmet as they all look the same - and, when seen in isolation, one can be swayed into belief- BUT, all together like this I believe the patterns are clear for all to see.

1) There is always a "ghostly hue" to the decal and a cleaned area where the decal is exposed.
    2) The decal is ALWAYS clearly identifiable and not just scraps of colour
    3) Decal remnants are in the rust pits ( you have to look close and these photos are far enough away to not be able to see this )
    4) Mostly there is NO remaining paint - but surprise, surprise ( as Gomer Pyle would say ) the decal has survived
    5) Even shell damage or corrosion can be seen quite close to the decal, but still, it has survived ......unbelievable! ( yes it is! )

Hope this is of some help for all in discerning good from bad ......
    Regards, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

superb guide dan ,and great referance photographs

Nice one Dan , and clearly explained what needs to be looked for, well done. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Useful guide mate

Thanks guys, plain as the nose on your face when they are all lined up like ducks in a row, eh?

I'm now embarrassed that I was taken in so easily a couple of years back ......

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Thanks guys, plain as the nose on your face when they are all lined up like ducks in a row, eh?

I'm now embarrassed that I was taken in so easily a couple of years back ......
    Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about lad. ALL of us get burned at one time or another.

I believe I know where most of those helmets are or we're being sold and he wanted good money for them too, everyone gets burned here and there as I have made mistakes too!

Great War Relics - WW I & WWII Artifacts

Your one-stop shop for shitty SS relic fakes

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Great War Relics - WW I & WWII Artifacts

Your one-stop shop for shitty SS relic fakes
    Indeed - but there are also ones like these the world over - so keep a watch out!

?

Plenty of SS faux-relic garbage out there to fill a dump truck. Sadly those who buy often believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast