Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic SS Helmet SD, some opinion of these?

Article about: Im gonna lay my cards on the table. I think, judging by the shape of the shell that this is an NS made helmet with a fake Q 'style' decal... the two don't go together. If you look at the fir

Default Relic SS Helmet SD, some opinion of these?

Dear Friends, somo opinions of this decal, and the helmet?. Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic SS Helmet SD, some opinion of these?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic SS Helmet SD, some opinion of these?

I could be wrong but it looks like a good one to me.

ERIC

Looks like a good aging Helmet.
    cheers

Nice Original!

Cheers. Michael

?

Beautiful! Just the way I like them!

Whether or not the decal is original it will be gone in a few years anyway.. It is sitting on top of a crust that will fall away with time or a slight knock. The red flag for me is the fact that it has 'Uffz' painted on the skirt at the rear, Uffz being an abbreviation of Unteroffizier, a rank which did not exist in the SS. The SS equivalent would be Unterscharführer. I am unsure of the abbreviation for this. A good close up of the decal is needed. But I am inclined to say this is a carefully applied fake decal. This helmet is an M35 right? Judging by the missing vent rivet on the left hand side... seeing as this decal is so well 'preserved' one would expect to see at least traces of the party shield, although there is a chance this could have been removed as per August 1940 orders.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Whether or not the decal is original it will be gone in a few years anyway.. It is sitting on top of a crust that will fall away with time or a slight knock. The red flag for me is the fact that it has 'Uffz' painted on the skirt at the rear, Uffz being an abbreviation of Unteroffizier, a rank which did not exist in the SS. The SS equivalent would be Unterscharführer. I am unsure of the abbreviation for this. A good close up of the decal is needed. But I am inclined to say this is a carefully applied fake decal. This helmet is an M35 right? Judging by the missing vent rivet on the left hand side... seeing as this decal is so well 'preserved' one would expect to see at least traces of the party shield, although there is a chance this could have been removed as per August 1940 orders.
    That is a good point, but it is proven by period photography that occasionally a soldier from one branch ended up with equipment from another. This may or may not have been the case for this one but it is my personal opinion that this is an original helmet.

Dear Friends, thank you very much everyone, for your very valuable feedback. I think that, finally, I will buy this helmet. In your opinion, did a fair price for it?.
    All the best for all
    Jose Luis

I too think the decal will be gone in a relatively short period of time - when the rusted
    paint flakes decide to fall off - It looks extremely brittle in this area. Taking this
    into account, it should be priced accordingly.

I have a relic lid in better overall condition ( no decals ) which I've owned for
    just over a year. There are now many small chunks of rust laying
    at the base of the stand it sits upon...................
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I too think the decal will be gone in a relatively short period of time - when the rusted
    paint flakes decide to fall off - It looks extremely brittle in this area. Taking this
    into account, It should be priced accordingly.
    I agree Steve. I would be very surprised if the decal even survived a trip via a postal service! I'm still not sure about this one. If the decal were not there we would all be saying this was or had been an M35 DD Heer purely because of the 'Uffz' rank inside the rear skirt... I am by no means an expert on decals, but if Frank (Schwerpunkt) say's he would not buy it on the other thread concerning this one ( https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...n-these-46576/ ) that's good enough reason for me to doubt it at this point.. although I did see he made no mention of the decal.. Wish Doug B would step in and give his word on the decal on this rusty old piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast