Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Relic SS M40 for review

Article about: Hi guys, I have been offered this relic helmet from a member of this forum. I would like to get the SS experts' opinions on the decal. Thanks, Mo

Default Re: Relic SS M40 for review

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Chris, decals are very durable and the decal combined with the lacquer really does protect that part of the helemt from rust, so that is why they often survive better than the other parts of the lid which are just painted. But caution is a good thing. Not every decal on a relic helmet is good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks bro. This is a useful info.
    And i agree about the suggested caution. Personally i know 1-2 guys who dig and i'm buying my relics only from them, coz i trust them and i know they respect their finds and don't mess with them.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Thanks for your opinions guys, I will get a close-up from the seller as well as the factory stamp/lot number info as soon as possible!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Chris, decals are very durable and the decal combined with the lacquer really does protect that part of the helemt from rust, so that is why they often survive better than the other parts of the lid which are just painted. But caution is a good thing. Not every decal on a relic helmet is good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, actually there is more than that with SS decals. XRF study of SS decals, all of them, show that they have a high concentration of Vanadium in the pulver content. Vanadium is an anti rusting element added in modern chrome wheels for example and it is this that actually helps the decal from rusting while the iron shell will rust even beneath the decal.
    So it really is not the lacquer as Heer decals and Luftwaffe decals that are lacquered are often in poor condition. The Vanadium explains the decals durability. Every real SS decal we scanned in my collection and hundreds of them in total they scanned, have almost the exact same amount of Vanadium. Fakes...do not. :-)

Thus, an SS decal can look pretty good and the shell around it can look like, well, like crap!

Doug
    Last edited by DougB; 09-16-2011 at 03:03 PM.

I am very excited about this helmet. It was dug up at 6. SS "Nord" positions in Karelia. I have a death card of a Sturmmann who was killed in Karelia as well as a relic Overhoff SS buckle that I am looking forward to displaying this with. It will be my first SS helmet, assuming that it's good of course!

I can't believe that I have a couple of Heer M40's, a Kriegsmarine M40, (will have) an SS M40, and still no M35's, M42's, or Luftwaffe helmets. I am having a hard time finding the most common helmet for a price that I can afford. lol

?

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Looks Dodgy to me
    Can you elaborate with your opinion ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    Isn't it weird that almost the 2/3 of the helmet are covered from rust but the decal is 90% intact?
    Not really Chris it depends very much on how the helmet was lying and in what sort of soil /water etc etc.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Not really Chris it depends very much on how the helmet was lying and in what sort of soil /water etc etc.
    Thanks Paul, i know that you are knowledgeable about these as you dig for relics too.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

I'll try, it just appeared ( the decal) to not correspond with the overall condition off the shell, it looks as though its been sanded down, to reflect time and ageing, i can appreciate the rust comeing through the decal as you would expect. rather than it being applied over the rust , but i think the Runes should be more prevallant, but these are just my thoughts, as i said I think it looks Dodgy

Phill

?

There is no doubt the decal was cleaned along with the rest of the helmet causing that sanded look. You see that a lot with cleaned SS helmets whereby the surface of the decal takes on that scrubbed look. A nice closeup of the decal should tell the story either way.

Doug i have only been here a short time and i already know that you are highly respected and your opions are highly regarded, i look forward to more opinions and hope to learn some more

Regards Phill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast