Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...

Article about: Is this a proper RZM stamp for a SS helmet, and would an SS helmet be stamped in this manner. Brian

Default Re: Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Buy the helmet - not the story. I've listed my observations on the piece, and am interested in what some of the others have to say about it. Jim G.
    Yes, i just wanted to post the other pic that he sent me.

Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...
    P
    Many

Hi Brian, I am not surprised that the helmet is on ebay. Ebay does have good stuff from time to time, but it is a minefield! Others on this site have urged newer collectors to seek advice when in doubt about a piece and I wholly endorse that advice, especially when the item is on an auction site like ebay that limits the type of photos that can be posted in the listing. You were wise to ask the seller for additional pictures, which I think is a must when contemplating a bid on a high ticket item. Regarding the location of this helmet, at the risk of offending some, and no offense is intended, in my opinion there are alot of "enhanced" helmets coming out of Belgium, and I would be very careful. Enough said. Jim G.

Thats why i asked members here, and posted the pics, and asked the helmets owner for more pics, and info.

I agree there have been some good items on ebay, but it is a minefield for sure.

Thanks for the information, and i agree, i notice alot of helmets coming out of Belgium also.

Brian

Brian, I just figured out how to post pictures, so I will try to post some of the RZM and an M18 so you can compare and contrast the characteristics. I will try to do this this weekend if I have enough time off from work. Jim G.

Brian, The "RZM" helmet on ebay is up to $710. I have attached some photos of a real RZM (a small size, but notice the non steeped lugs) and a size 66 M18. In the side by side you should be able to see the slightly different position of the front liner rivets. The inner shots show the large washer on the lug for the M18 (with the white liner) and the absence of such a washer on the RZM. I also tried to show the stamps, but I am not a very good photographer. The rear rivet on the RZM is a replacement, as is the long portion of the chinstrap. there is also some touch up of the grey paint, the helmet was originally issued in black, and appears never to have had decals. I just left the piece in exactly the same condition as it was when I bought it. Hope these photos help. If you check the ebay listing, the dimensions of the helmet and the liner are the same as the M18, the location and depth of the RZM and runes stamps are wrong, and that is why I wouldn't buy it. Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...   Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...  

Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...   Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...  

Rzm marking inside an ss helmet...  
    Last edited by helmet2id; 05-01-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: to ad the pictures

ive also never seen a rzm mark on a helmet

Quote by godswork View Post
    ive also never seen a rzm mark on a helmet
    These were a specially ordered contract of helmets made for the SS.

Hi Jim, thanks for the pics

Cheers, Ade.

I was on ebay earlier today and noticed that the same seller has a "Rare" DD M18 ear cut out up for auction as well. Not surprisingly, that piece is also a fake. Even though it is an ET64, as all original M18 ear cuts outs, look at the full front on picture - NO FLARE of the apron. Several days ago I had emailed the seller regarding my concerns with the RZM, and he neither responded, nor posted my question on the listing to alert potential buyers that there were some questions about the piece, which most ebay sellers will do if they are not sure of the originality of the piece. This seller now has 2 offerings of what would be very rare helmets if they were real, neither of which are. Both have bids in excess of $700. Is there anyway to let ebay know that there is a seller who is listing high end fakes? Two buyers will some day be very disappointed! Jim G.

The RZM on ebay sold for $1326. A real RZM might go for 8-10x that amount. This is a good example of "if it is too good to be true...." Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    The RZM on ebay sold for $1326. A real RZM might go for 8-10x that amount. This is a good example of "if it is too good to be true...." Jim G.

Wow..................!

The purchasers of helmets like this are not benefiting from books, or friends
    and colleagues - here or elsewhere - who would lead them away from a bad decision.

That's a lot of cash for a bum lid !

Regards, Steve.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast