Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SD Heer M40 paint removal project.

Article about: hope this wasnt an SS helmet!!!....

Default SD Heer M40 paint removal project.

This helmet is my latest craigslist purchase. It cost me $100 and the guy said it came out of his parents' barn in Maine. It had a cut-down chinstrap that appears original to the helmet, as well as an intact liner. I began to scrape off the paint yesterday and it has been coming off remarkably easily. It's an EF66 from what I can read, but I didn't post any pictures of the markings because there is a lot of rust that makes it hard to read. I will post updates as I continue to remove the paint. So far I have found a beautiful apple green underneath.

You can tell that there is a single decal underneath the paint. You should be able to see the outline in the picture. I have scraped paint off from around it but I don't want to damage the decal. Do you have any suggestions for removing the paint over the decal?

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Heer M40 paint removal project.   SD Heer M40 paint removal project.  

SD Heer M40 paint removal project.   SD Heer M40 paint removal project.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD Heer M40 paint removal project.
    P
    Many

Default Re: SD Heer M40 paint removal project.

If you are going to scrape the paint off remember to take your time and be careful incase you damage the original paint or decal. If the paint is coming off very easily maybe using hot water will remove the paint?

Nice helmet though, especially for the price you paid for it

Thanks

Danny

Well, I got the paint off but there wasn't much left of the decal. After the acetone the decal took it pretty much washed away anyway. The paint of the helmet was really strange, almost as if it binded with the decal itself so it was pretty much impossible to do it. It was hard enough just leaving the faint trace of the decal like I did.

Anyway, for $100 and a bit of work, I got a very nice complete helmet out of the whole ordeal. : )

I will be posting pictures of it tonight.

Hi All,
    Regarding this helmet, is scraping actually the best way to remove the paint? I'm new to this and I'm still learning. I'm going to begin some restorations this weekend and there's a lot of paint removal. My plan was to apply some acetone... wait... and then use a Q-tip to rub the paint off. Probably depends on the paint.

Do you think think the decals were original? I've heard that it takes a lot to remove them but I'm no expert by any means.
    -Flash

here is the helmet, as promised, with the decal gone. i tried to save it, i really did, but the paint that was on there was stuck on that decal and it did NOT want to let go. i got a really nice helmet out of it though for 100 bucks. i took off the chinstrap temporarily. i was right, it was a heer decal.

as for your question, i scraped it because the paint was very thin and it was coming off really easily everywhere except the decal

i guess it would depend on the thickness, type of paint, and how long it has been on there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Heer M40 paint removal project.   SD Heer M40 paint removal project.  

SD Heer M40 paint removal project.  

I wouldn't really recommend scraping paint off unless its been softened first. I usually use Nitromores paint remover. If you apply it with a rag you can control how much you put on. I used this method on an old US M1 helmet and uncovered the old textured finish without damaging it. Acetone is very dodgy stuff to use, you can end up removing more than you would wish.

Well worth $100. Good buy

Thanks Harry!
    I was going to use acetone but now I'll buy some Nitromors All-Purpose Paint Remover.

That's a nice lid Mo!!

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Thanks Harry!
    I was going to use acetone but now I'll buy some Nitromors All-Purpose Paint Remover.

That's a nice lid Mo!!
    Whatever you do, don't go over the top with the Nitromore's. All you are trying to do is blister the outer paintwork. There is always an element of risk when doing this, you could end up making an absolute mess of the helmet. Try a small area before you try to do all the helmet. There is no guarantee that you will find anything underneath anyway. Weigh up the pro's and cons before you start.

never scratch off paint unless it hasn t got any value
    this helmet i would try liquid ways instead of scratching

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast