Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ss dd ef64 m35(3441)

Article about: by DougB Brian I recently visited with a high end Imperial collector who purchases raw rolled steel for his business and each roll has a stamp traceable to the foundry. He says this hasn't c

?

Default Re: Ss dd ef64 m35(3441)

Paul, who is the seller? Isn't it the guy who looks like Captain Kangaroo?? I can't remember his name.

- - Updated - -

Snyder! Now I remember his name! Paul, is it him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss dd ef64 m35(3441)
    P
    Many

Hi SSamir,that was exactly my thoughts,just that they were poor attempts at pochers!! I think the EF decals were only on M42's.It just really p*****s me off when the fakers go to the effort of ruining a good M35 by slapping SS decal on it just because the lot number matches a possible SS batch. Leon. P.S. It was a long time ago(and will be again!!)that i bought from this chap but i think his name was Fitos?
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 01-27-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Chaps name?

?

Don't let it pisss you off, infact, you better get used to it, because theres lots more to come! If you do your homework and post on the forums before you buy, you should be fine my friend.

Samir

Ss dd ef64 m35(3441)As ever i will do that!! That said i was not tempted by this "treat" i just wanted to highlight what i felt was a stinker! I have the opinion that the more fakes i see the better i get at spotting a good one,hence the fact i only have one good SS helmet!! Ha Ha. This is my one!!!!!

?

Its a nice example! Take care of it.

?

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Paul, who is the seller? Isn't it the guy who looks like Captain Kangaroo?? I can't remember his name.

- - Updated - -

Snyder! Now I remember his name! Paul, is it him?
    Battleflag Militaria !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I just checked him out and WOW. What a shame!

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    These are indeed reproduction decals with manmade aging, tool marking the decals. The helmet was probably baked to give the decals some look of age and cracking. However the large cracking is unlike what you see on real party decals. (On a side note, party decals and runic decals may age - ie; craze, differently due to different construction).

A reminder the lot number list is but a partial use in determination of real vs fake and lot numbers are not exclusive to a given service branch. Fakers will use the lot number list as well to their own devious ends.

As well, the GHW2 lot number list is based upon helmets deemed as real posted in the forum and all can be looked up there and seen, or are at least archived. With respect to Brian and by no means an accusation nir a condemnation of his abilities or his information, but the fact remains there is no way to know if the lot numbers correspond to real SS helmets or fake ones in a book without seeing them. For all we know, this helmet could be the very one referred to in the book, if in fact the book is where you are getting your lot number information.
    During the years of compiling lot number information for the book, I used my 35 years experience in the hobby as a guide to determine real from fake. When my expertise lacked (re: SS decals) I usually relied on the experience of others via helmet forums. Such helmets were discussed with a consensus of knowledgeable collectors as to authenticity. So by using both my own experience combined with that of many other collectors having a wide range of expertise, I was able to produce a lot number listing that I feel is quite accurate (although still very incomplete).

To agree with much of what has been said, lot numbers do not guarantee or refute authenticity in themselves; they are just one piece of the much larger picture. It is important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of such research, what lot numbers can and cannot tell us. As there appears to be no direct manufacturing connection between a helmet's lot number and it's paint/decal configuration, the subject helmet should always have to stand alone in all aspects to be deemed an authentic relic of the Third Reich.

Hello Brian,having never been a member on another forum i would just like to say that it is good to speak to you and i appreciate the many years of hard work that has gone into your book!! As you quite rightly say nothing is to be taken as "set in stone" but i do feel your years of research most certainly assist in getting to the bottom of 95% of fakes produced up untll the 2000's. Keep up the good work, i for one appreciate it!!!! Cheers, Leon.

?

Brian I recently visited with a high end Imperial collector who purchases raw rolled steel for his business and each roll has a stamp traceable to the foundry. He says this hasn't changed since wartime and the lot number represents the steel roll, a theory I brought up a while ago. (and maybe you've heard before that as well)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast