Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS decal-real deal?

Article about: by popcorn what gave it away as a fake? The list is long but think on this ........ it has supposed to have been on the helmet ( and the paint too ) for 70 years!!!!! and really, it looks NO

Default Re: SS decal-real deal?

Quote by popcorn View Post
    what gave it away as a fake?
    The list is long but think on this ........ it has supposed to have been on the helmet ( and the paint too ) for 70 years!!!!!
    and really, it looks NOTHING like that sort of age, does it?. Think of old signs and surfaces that have seen years of exposure to air / sunlight / dust / dirt etc... and you will learn what appearance to look for. I'm sure even your SA dagger has an older looking finish ( patina ) than this.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS decal-real deal?
    P
    Many

Quote by Paul E View Post
    If this is a Q Shell the have a look at what an an original Q Decal should look like , you will be enlightened !!

- - Updated - -

Forget repro decals just study originals !!

Yes of course, but if you had a fake decal in ones hands, they are easliy spotted, but true, need to study originals !!

?

Christina has very kindly posted a link that will assist you in learning what you need to know to answer your questions !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks again. Any good reference books more up to date I should be on the look for? The one I mentioned is not specific on what decals go with what shell. It only mentions pattern 1 and pattern 2 and the measurements, composition and fit seem to check out. Infact, the section on pictured helmets doesn't indicate the shell manufacture. The "age apperance" did make me suspicious but I have seen good Third Rech items that look pretty new.

kelly hicks has done a book on ss helmets go for about 60 70 bucks

Quote by geelong View Post
    kelly hicks has done a book on ss helmets go for about 60 70 bucks
    Thank you. I have his book SS Helmets a collecters guid but it does not go into detail with reference to which decals go with which shells.

Quote by popcorn View Post
    Thank you. I have his book SS Helmets a collecters guid but it does not go into detail with reference to which decals go with which shells.
    1st get to know which pattern belongs on which helmet maker then study each topic that pops up on the forums and test yourself.
    This was an easy fake. But often it's not just about decals, other indicators can already give warning that something is not right. Bad paint , liner , chinstraps , etc... That basic knowledge you should have before you start learning decals.

The SS decal section here gives you the basic info for shell maker and decal type correlation. Nothing else to add on the helmet in question, the guys nailed it early for what it is. Anything that seller offers you should be posted for opinions in future would be my advice.

?

Popcorn, save your "butter", this one is as bogus as the vet story that came with it.

?

Popcorn please read the following pinned threads:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-he...helmet-248258/

SS Runic Decal Reference Section

PS of course he wants your (assumed real) SA dagger, this way he tosses a pile of garbage to you and you lose a presumably real SA dagger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast