Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS decal-real deal?

Article about: by popcorn what gave it away as a fake? The list is long but think on this ........ it has supposed to have been on the helmet ( and the paint too ) for 70 years!!!!! and really, it looks NO

Default SS decal-real deal?

Hi. A SS helmet showed up at a local milataria shop. The owner knows I'm into German WW2 stuff so he offered it to me. Apperantly it was bought from a guy who had it in his family brought from a relative in WW2. Money is really tight so he is willing to trade for my SA dagger. I snapped some quick pics of the decal. It's a Q66 M40 shell lot number 11421. Liner size is 58. To me the decal looks like the one in Kelly Hicks book "SS Helmets a Collecters guide" page 48(second pattern). I could use help here. Helmet decals aren't something I'm used to but if this turns out to be good I don't want to miss out on this oppertunity.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS decal-real deal?   SS decal-real deal?  

SS decal-real deal?   SS decal-real deal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS decal-real deal?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS decal-real deal?

Complete reproduction

Hello popcorn

I found this for you:

SS Runic Decal Reference Section
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I'd be hanging onto your dagger with BOTH hands!!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

keep the sa dagger this is no good a cheap fake decal added on this helmet.

Oh, and please IGNORE any story that comes with any helmet ( unless you REALLY get some hard supporting FACTS ) ....... 99% of the time it is pure & utter fabrication, hearsay and / or embellishment.

A good rule I have learned ( the hard way ) is "EYES open, EARS closed"!!!!!!

Cheers, Dan ( keep searching )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

As the guys/girls have said above, its a cheap repro decal most likely applied to a repainted shell, without seeing the liner, that could be reproduction also, walk away from the deal quickly !!!

Thanks all. There appears to be metal in the decal so I wasn't sure. You guys are good. If you don't mind me asking what gave it away as a fake? The book has the tell tale signs as the decal rolling, not hugging the shell and no metal composision. The fakers have gotten alot better since that came out.

Popcorn

Buy some cheap repro SS decals and play around with them as it were, you will soon see the differance, try and handle a real SS helmet also !

?

If this is a Q Shell the have a look at what an an original Q Decal should look like , you will be enlightened !!

- - Updated - -

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Popcorn

Buy some cheap repro SS decals and play around with them as it were, you will soon see the differance, try and handle a real SS helmet also !
    Forget repro decals just study originals !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast