Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ss double decal helmet

Article about: by DougB Steve, they are out there, you just need to mine gold in a gold mine and not a salt mine, LOL. Sadly they arent cheap but you get what you pay for I suppose considering the fakes th

?

Default ss double decal helmet

This is a M42 SS single decal NS helmet. The rivets are tight and the liner is dated '43. The chinstrap is not original to the helmet i would be interest in particular, on an opinion of the decal. (No pixels that I can see, Doug) I was told that it is a classic NS decal, but have no reference for this. Opinions would be really appreciated.

Thanks Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss double decal helmet   ss double decal helmet  

ss double decal helmet   ss double decal helmet  

ss double decal helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss double decal helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: ss double decal helmet

Steve I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this one does not look like a classic NS or "champagne" runic decal. Champagnes can be hard to nail down and are the toughest of all SS decals as they are not seen that often. Most collectors and almost all dealers have no clue when it comes to this decal style. Kelly Hicks is to have more information on Champagne runic decals in his upcoming book SS Steel 2.

They have a much more pronounced break, typically will have a pinkish flat hue to the pulver especially when photos are taken outside as this one was, and not a milky white hue, the shield border is quite a bit different as well. The construction of the pulver on them is such that they dont turn the tan-brownish color in the pulver with age as this one seems to be toning, but a golden-pinkish hue. Magnification and XRF scanning of these decals also show very precise fingerprints that fakes just cannot hope to match.

THe scuffing on the decal surface certainly doesnt appear to match the pristine condition of the shell or liner, which to me is a bit of a red flag, someone trying to show some age to a post war applied decal.

I believe you have a rare B stamped NS no decal helmet, most NS M42s were LW or Heer produced.

?

Been thinking about the maker stamps on this one, havent seen too many B stamped NS but doesnt the NS64 belong on the rear skirt below the lot number on these?

The lotnr appears to have "D" prefix Doug.

I haven't seen too many NS made SS helmets so I would be cautious buying one. I have only seen 2 NS M42's over a period of many years and even those were a long time ago.

That said the graphics look a bit off compared to the decal in Kelly Hicks SS steel on page 27.

?

Thanks for your opinions guys.

It is a nice helmet, maybe apart from the decal. Original SS items are hard thing's to collect, especially when dealers don't seem to know exactly what they are selling.

Thanks again.

Regards

Steve

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    The lotnr appears to have "D" prefix Doug.

I haven't seen too many NS made SS helmets so I would be cautious buying one. I have only seen 2 NS M42's over a period of many years and even those were a long time ago.

That said the graphics look a bit off compared to the decal in Kelly Hicks SS steel on page 27.
    Ya know, I was staring at that and could swear there is a light strike of a B, the left side of the D/B appears to curl inwards like a B as well, but you are probably right Frank. Either way, a real NS/SE or "Champagne" decal really pops, this one fizzles.

Steve, unfortunately most dealers cannot identify a good fake SS decal. There are precious few who can actually, dealer or not and this decal style is the most difficult.

This to me looks very fake im sorry to say all looks a bit too new to me the decal looks wrong i cant explain too much as i am no expert in any way on German helmets but just have that first imppression.

I guess at a second look the decal looks quite higher than the paint ??? guess i need to go to specsavers lol.

?

Doug.

Thanks again for your advice. One day I may be able to find an ss helmet that is 100% correct. I'm beginning to think that too many years have gone by and too many helmets have been messed with in the last 70 years. I assume there are a few good ones still left.???

Thanks anyway

Steve

?

Quote by matiu View Post
    Doug.

Thanks again for your advice. One day I may be able to find an ss helmet that is 100% correct. I'm beginning to think that too many years have gone by and too many helmets have been messed with in the last 70 years. I assume there are a few good ones still left.???

Thanks anyway

Steve
    Steve, they are out there, you just need to mine gold in a gold mine and not a salt mine, LOL. Sadly they arent cheap but you get what you pay for I suppose considering the fakes that are out there. By coincidence one has been just listed that is an M40 stone cold real 5 second one looker Q SS here Board Message
    listed about 15 minutes ago by one of the more discriminating SS helmet collectors. Kelly Hicks' website also has several good ones for sale recently listed including an M42 that I bought for a fellow collector years ago. So they are out there!
    Cheers
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast