Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Helmet

Article about: I'm pretty new to this forum and should mention I know pretty much nothing about German militaria. That being said I thought I would share some pictures of my Grandpa's helmet. My Grandpa wa

?

Default Re: SS Helmet

Quote by 99CepekZ View Post
    I understand that mind set if I were trying to sell you the helmet and was a low life piece of scum. However I am not, I am merely wanting to show other people like myself who have a interest in history a helmet my grandfather brought back from the war.
    Well, its an interesting piece, and i'm sure your one of the good guys! Thanks for sharing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I would bet the shell markings are ET64 or ckl64? You will find the markings at the rear of the interior skirt, and possibly at the left side of the skirt too, depending onthe point in the war it was made. It is a model 1942 (M42) helmet, made at the Eisenhuttenwerke factory in Thale, Germany. It is also, very nice indeed and I would like it on my shelf
    A one looker indeed, beautiful SS M42 for sure. I would suggest this may be an EF 42, on my iPad and the lot number in the back of the skirt looks like the large EF font but its impossible to say for sure. Either a ckl or EF in any case.

Super helmet, family heirloom, what more can a guy ask for? Thanks for posting!

I wish my great grandparents had brought something like this back from the war. A nice helmet!

Just noticed the helmet chin strap has been cut, I did read this tended to happen when the helms were cut from fallen soldiers, do you think this may have been the case with this helm, does not distract from it all

I assume due to the fact of what you said your no a German militaria collector. Just so you know, this helmet is worth thousands. Don't allow anyone to take advantage of you.

- - Updated - -

And it's not a thousand, its thousand(s)!!

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Just noticed the helmet chin strap has been cut, I did read this tended to happen when the helms were cut from fallen soldiers, do you think this may have been the case with this helm, does not distract from it all
    The chinstraps were cut by the medics etc when the wounded were brought in !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The chinstraps were cut by the medics etc when the wounded were brought in !!
    This is quite correct. Verified by the German veteran who sold his FJ helmet and grouping which I now own. He kept his helmet after he was wounded, it was laid on his chest and he kept it.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    I assume due to the fact of what you said your no a German militaria collector. Just so you know, this helmet is worth thousands. Don't allow anyone to take advantage of you.

- - Updated - -

And it's not a thousand, its thousand(s)!!
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a German militaria collector but I'm aware the helmet is worth quite a bit. Like I said earlier, my Grandpa has been offered a couple thousand for the helmet before but hasn't sold it and I've told him I would rather the helmet stay in the family and he understands that.

Quote by DougB View Post
    This is quite correct. Verified by the German veteran who sold his FJ helmet and grouping which I now own. He kept his helmet after he was wounded, it was laid on his chest and he kept it.
    I'm really glad to hear this. All these years I've thought that the chinstrap just broke in half from age.

Quote by 99CepekZ View Post
    I'm really glad to hear this. All these years I've thought that the chinstrap just broke in half from age.
    It may have broken, it may have been cut, doesn't really matter, its still a great item !

If it was cut, its interesting your grandfather was a medic and in Patton's Army, Pattons lot moved pretty quickly i believe, perhaps the helm was left behind from some sort of dressing station , perhaps they were in a hurry to leave !!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast