Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Helmet

Article about: I'm pretty new to this forum and should mention I know pretty much nothing about German militaria. That being said I thought I would share some pictures of my Grandpa's helmet. My Grandpa wa

Default Re: SS Helmet

great helmet thanks for posting it. i realy like to see a real helmet that has a back ground to it. i got a k98 dress bayonet that my grandpar brought back from dunkirk, even though there common to get. its still good to have. and yea, totenhead he told my dad, guys where throwing stuff over board just incase they where found with it, wish he got a ss helmet or two.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by geelong View Post
    great helmet thanks for posting it. i realy like to see a real helmet that has a back ground to it. i got a k98 dress bayonet that my grandpar brought back from dunkirk, even though there common to get. its still good to have. and yea, totenhead he told my dad, guys where throwing stuff over board just incase they where found with it, wish he got a ss helmet or two.
    Nice one geelong, very interesting that your grandpa was at Dunkirk !!! what regiment was he if you dont mind me asking? I see you have been to london at the IWM, its great there, i will have to go again myself next year !

Shut now for refurb isn't it Martin? I must get a family trip to London organised next year too

Not sure mate, not been since 2010, have to get down there again in the Spring, might bump into you, have a beer !!

PS

Just checked website, does not mention anything so may be open again

from what my dad said he was a driver or a trasport unit he joined the army in 1920s but rejoined in 39 he was much older. he got a hand gun and a silk map too but dont have them items ,but he went back in dday +2 right threw to berlin. im trying to do my familys military history at moment my uncle just showed me my great grandpars medals he was in the boar war, ww1 wounded, and in the home guard ww2 east sury reg. and his son my mums dad was a camp guard at wottan 165. but also 5 great uncles and one more great grandpar in ww1 so ive got a bit to do ha ha. yea the iwm was realy good loved it over there realy hopeing to get back one day and go to the battle fields in france to.

The IWM is open, but is almost empty now prior to the planned closesure and big rebuild. The main hall has the V2 and the Daimler Armoured car. The planes still hang from the roof. The only exhibits still in place are the Holocaust items upstairs. I was at the IWM last Sunday.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Helmet   SS Helmet  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nice one Geelong, sounds like you have a lot of research to keep you busy!!!
    I started researching my families military history a few years ago, believe it or not that’s what got me into all this !! Was not really that interested before, but something just clicked in my head and I have been hooked ever since!!!
    I was in Ypres last summer to visit my great uncles grave, it’s a sobering experience, you should try and get over and visit the WW1 sites especially, it really does put it all in perspective once you are there, spent a couple of days around Ypres, it had this strange hold on me, I did not want to leave.
    Hope to visit some of the WW2 areas next year if all goes well, Monte Cassino is one on the list, and also try and get over to the Soviet Union but will have to see how the work goes

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The IWM is open, but is almost empty now prior to the planned closesure and big rebuild. The main hall has the V2 and the Daimler Armoured car. The planes still hang from the roof. The only exhibits still in place are the Holocaust items upstairs. I was at the IWM last Sunday.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, thats news to me then, what are they planning to do with it, why are they rebuilding it ??? whats wrong with the original building ? I hope they dont spoil it, nothing like turning up there and being greeted by those huge naval guns outside !!!

?

Great helmet and heirloom - definitely keep that one in the family.

Hi Martin, just added a couple of pics to my post from my phone.

With the 100th Anniversary of WW1 looming in 2014, it was decided to enlarge the museum:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-lon...ing-iwm-london

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast