Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SS Helmet

Article about: Leon it's a difficult one to spot. The Pocher runes have no internal 1mm border indicative of correct early Pochers, note the flare on the inside tip of the right rune, and the print/ink. Gr

?

Leon it's a difficult one to spot. The Pocher runes have no internal 1mm border indicative of correct early Pochers, note the flare on the inside tip of the right rune, and the print/ink. Graphically a near exact copy but the devil is in the minute detail on runic decals.

If not paying close attention it's an easy one to miss in a thread like this where the focus is on a different helmet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I have a black M34 SS with decals which I think are from the same decal "family". It has been published even. And its a fake as well, fooled the best but new knowledge has uncovered it for what it is, sadly. It was being explained as an early prototype, which they are not.

Hi Doug, Jules pointed that one out to me - it really made the rounds with TOP collectors, but unfortunately was determined not to be authentic. By the way, I wouldn't have been as embarrassed if i had endorsed that one, and not the mini that started this thread - my face is still red! Jim G.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Leon it's a difficult one to spot. The Pocher runes have no internal 1mm border indicative of correct early Pochers, note the flare on the inside tip of the right rune, and the print/ink. Graphically a near exact copy but the devil is in the minute detail on runic decals.

If not paying close attention it's an easy one to miss in a thread like this where the focus is on a different helmet.
    I have a BEAT SS SD in storage that I bought from Bill Shea (off of the paper catelog in those dark age days before computers!) that scared me when it arrived - the runes were very thin. I took a good look and it appeared that the ink had WORN OFF at the borders of the runes. I brought it to Al Barrows to check it out. He gave it the thumbs up, and told me that he had, in fact, owned the helmet in the '70's. I will try to pull it out of storage this weekend and post it to show the border that you reference above. Cheers, Jim G.

?

Thanks Jim. I have seen them worn like that as well but it would be good to post. You can see the border in the Pocher I posted above and in the SS decal reference thread as well.
    Hey don't feel bad on the mini. It fooled a few and keeps us all humble LOL.

?

Lads, I am stunned that none of the experts here know what this helmet is, I know little of WW2 German, but I do know this smaller helmet.
    These were made for a special unit that was raised late in the War in the Black Forest, the unit was the 1st smurf Battalion.
    They did not do well as the 99 males were more interested in the one "lady Smurf"..hence they went under the tracks as they say!!!

Sorry this is my attempt at humour

Dean O.
    Ajax Canada

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi Doug, Jules pointed that one out to me - it really made the rounds with TOP collectors, but unfortunately was determined not to be authentic. .
    Sadly it was sold to me as authentic but I do my own research despite collector pedigree and the fact it was published. There has been a lack of transparency and honesty over this helmet. I sold it to a friend of mine in Vancouver.

But I later found the same decals on a postwar black civic helmet. I had the helmet shipped to me, along with another black civic that by coincidence surfaced a few weeks later at an obscure Canadian dealer. Then a fake M42 DD police with the same party decal surfaced in Australia and the owner sent me super tight shots which confirmed an identical match.

With this information I was convinced what I sold was a fake and called my friend and refunded him fully years after he bought it. I have begun the refund process to the dealer who sold it to me after talking to Jules and reading this.

I am most disappointed in what was known BEFORE I bought it. And the lack of transparency and honesty. Another black eye for the hobby as far as I am concerned.

Quote by DougB View Post

Hi Doug , I can see what you mean about the decals(runes) borders , I have seen your original in the SS decal thread section. I made the mistake of not taking into account how early the helmet in question was , hence I was not looking for the early type decal! Hands up , my mistake!! Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 10-18-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Last one pic of this tini mini helmet and some new pics of another one M 40 SS for sale witch the same proudly owner witch ,,orginal,, signature SS man on helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ohrc.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	584160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gk2r.jpg 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	584161  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qc2s.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	584162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72lj.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	584163  

Name:	4cp.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	584164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lw36.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	584165  

Name:	hnn.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	584166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tf90.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	584167  

Name:	d6oi.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	584168  

I think some bad news might be coming about the M40

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I think some bad news might be coming about the M40
    Whatsdatden????
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast