Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Helmet Chinstraps

Article about: Hi Everyone, I am a beginner collector and have two simple questions. Did SS late war helmets(1942 and on) get issued with standard(Army) chinstraps with the usual markings or SchutzStaffel

Default SS Helmet Chinstraps

Hi Everyone,
    I am a beginner collector and have two simple questions. Did SS late war helmets(1942 and on) get issued with standard(Army) chinstraps with the usual markings or SchutzStaffel chinstraps with SS/RZM markings? I think I know the answer but have not been able to find much information online. Also, is there a website with a list of known WW2 German chinstrap makers?
    Thanks....Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet Chinstraps
    P
    Many

This is the only SS chinstrap I am comfortable with. It shows no RZM. It is rare, but we do see them occasionally on 1938 dated M35 SS helmets. There is also an early SS RZM that is a clip on type on the RZM helmets. But those are too rare to confirm authenticity IMO.
    M40 & 42 SS helmets had the same straps installed as the other branches of service.
    Our member Frank has an educational site on helmets & decals. He shows many straps to "watch out" for. "germanhelmetvault.com"
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Helmet Chinstraps 

Thank you David! Can you tell me if LOHMANNWERKE A.G. 1943 BIELEFELD is a known manufacturer?
    Thanks again...Alex

Don't know. But there were a few manufacturers of leather in Bielefeld. Can you post a few GOOD pics of your strap ? Maybe we can tell if it is original or not.
    D.

I might just do that if it is ok to post pictures and change the subject on this SS forum which I started.

MAP
    ?

Quote by 3jusequlib View Post
    I might just do that if it is ok to post pictures and change the subject on this SS forum which I started.
    It's fine. Post away.

Take photos of the whole strap, the buckle, the tip, both sides as well as the stitching near the bales.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default Chinstrap Pics-Real or Repro?

Hi,
    Sorry it took me so long to get these pictures posted. I just got back from an 11 day Civil War Battlefield(s) tour
    This chinstrap is off a recent purchase of mine- a Luftwaffe SD Quist M40 Helmet. The strap looks fine to me but I would appreciate opinions from seasoned collectors. As far as I can tell the manufacture's stamp states: LOHMANNWERKE A.G. 1943 BIELEFELD. When you have time let me know what you think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Helmet Chinstraps   SS Helmet Chinstraps  

SS Helmet Chinstraps   SS Helmet Chinstraps  

SS Helmet Chinstraps   SS Helmet Chinstraps  

SS Helmet Chinstraps  

It's original. Possibly treated, hence the dark hue to it. Or, maybe the lighting of your camera.
    D.

TWS
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    It's original. Possibly treated, hence the dark hue to it. Or, maybe the lighting of your camera.
    D.
    Agree with real steel. That is a known period maker too.
    As he said in his other post, Bielefeld had a number of leather firms. I have a Tornister with straps stamped to Bielefeld and probably some other stuff too.

Hi David,
    Thank you for your opinion on this strap. Dang, your good The strap has been conditioned and the darkness is also a product of my camera and poor lighting. I must have moved the photo shoot four times to get what I got. Frustration! Anyway, I figured it was an original and appreciate your thoughts.
    Thank you too, TWS for your input. It is good to know this is a period manufacturer. I couldn't find any list of strap makers online. So, very important to me.
    Cheers...Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast