Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SS helmet from Russia - Opinions sought

Article about: Gentlemen, I'm not an expert so seeking some expert opinion. I picked up this helmet in Russia in 1994 at a flea market. Does it look right to you? Thank you for your thoughts. Tom

twf
    ?

Default SS helmet from Russia - Opinions sought

Gentlemen,
    I'm not an expert so seeking some expert opinion. I picked up this helmet in Russia in 1994 at a flea market. Does it look right to you?
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    Tom

SS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions soughtSS helmet from Russia - Opinions sought

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS helmet from Russia - Opinions sought
    P
    Many

?

That is definitly not a Quist decal.
    Cant see the left rune ending 1mm beneeth the break of the shield. Maybe it are my eyes in combination on my cellphone.

For sure not a 75yr old paint job ...and the liner looks treated to simulate age but shows no real wear or stretching.
    I would expect to see rubbing of the leather at the rim or age related cracking / peeling
    Possibly a good shell that has been "restored" IMO ( and if you didn't pay thousands for what a genuine SS cammo brings then you know the answer )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

twf
    ?

I paid about $80 for it 23 years ago at the Izmalovsky Park flea market in Moscow. The guy selling it had only a few odds and ends and not much militaria so I thought it might be the real deal. I've had it in storage for a while and am seeing it for the first time in many years. In looking it over it dawned on me that the name looks like Lt. Troll and Lt. was not an SS rank, right? But then I read elsewhere in this forum that helmets were occasionally re-issued so I thought that might have been the case. The whitewash looks better in hand than in the photos but I guess if it is not a Quist decal then it must be "restored." C'est la vie! Thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Tom

twf
    ?

Another thing I noticed comparing this helmet with one I know to be orginal (a no decal example I got from a vet when I was a kid) is that the fingers of the liner on my known original have leather gromets over the last hole on each of the fingers. These gromets are wanting on the "SS" helmet. Is the absence of these gromets a way to distinguish a replacement liner from an original? Thanks.
    Tom

The grommets or leather reinforcements often come loose and if the liner string comes off they can get lost but as your string is not an original either (compare to your other one ) I would guess its all repro.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

twf
    ?

Thank you very much. I appreciate the information.
    Regards,
    Tom

Hi Tom, as you have already discovered, that is definitely not a Quist decal, you have a re-worked M40 that is good for a re-enactor, but has sadly lost it's desirability to a collector, but $80 is not going to cause any headaches! Leon.