Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS M40 EF64 Single Decal

Article about: I bought this 10 years ago with a limited knowledge on SS helmets but I did do some research at the time. I've always hoped it was an original just due to what I thought was the quality and

Default SS M40 EF64 Single Decal

I bought this 10 years ago with a limited knowledge on SS helmets but I did do some research at the time. I've always hoped it was an original just due to what I thought was the quality and the appearence and aging of the SS runes. I can't remember the exact info the seller gave me about it but I think he said the leather lining was original but not to this helmet (one of the 3 rivets is a bit loose which I think backs it up that it was replaced). I seem to remember he also said that the chin strap wasn't original despite it having 'Otto Sindel Berlin 1941' stamped on it.

What really rattled me however was a comment SSamir made in another thread stating that single runes on a M40 EF64 were very rare (unless I've misinterpreted his comment?). Anyway here is my helmet for you perusal. The batch number is 985.

The yellow/gold on the SS runes thats in the pictures is alot less apparent to the naked eye.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 EF64 Single Decal   SS M40 EF64 Single Decal  

SS M40 EF64 Single Decal   SS M40 EF64 Single Decal  

SS M40 EF64 Single Decal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 EF64 Single Decal
    P
    Many

Hi , well I will say that my lot number book gives an EF64 985 as a single decal Luftwaffe helmet. I think this helmet may have had a complete re-paint post war , it looks very thick and shiney from these images and the decals border seems a bit thick to me if it is indeed a POCHER as you would expect on this helmet. I hope I am wrong. Leon.

IMO it's a fake Pocher, certainly no EF decal.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    IMO it's a fake Pocher, certainly no EF decal.
    Hi Kradspam , I tend to agree with you , the "gold" look seems like pre-printed artificial ageing to me. I would also add that the paint looks very similar to the type on US 1950's M1 helmets. Leon.

Thanks for the information guys, that thump you may have heard was the sound of my heart sinking! Its a shame as I'd had a windfall of money at the time and thought I'd buy something I'd wanted for a long time. Bit too compulsive/impatient though.

Quote by westpier View Post
    Thanks for the information guys, that thump you may have heard was the sound of my heart sinking! Its a shame as I'd had a windfall of money at the time and thought I'd buy something I'd wanted for a long time. Bit too compulsive/impatient though.
    Relax, i dont want you having an heart attack!!!
    Because its 10 year old purchase, i doubt the seller will give you a refund!!
    You can try removing the fake decal and keep the helmet for what it is.

Quote by westpier View Post
    I hope you were not stung to badly , Dougb and SSamir are the real experts on SS helmets here , so wait for their opinions just in case we are wrong , I for one am still learning about these things!! Leon.

?

A reproduction for sure. Its only a helmet. You have your health, so there will be others.

?

It's a bad Pocher as Amdy says. Don't slit your wrists, this is what is called "a learning experience" and you'll be better off for it as a collector.